FR+ TDI PD150 intercooler alloy connector dimensions

phizzandlil

Divers go deeper!
Feb 22, 2009
Nr Gatwick
Hi all,

Just had the Leon (Standard FR+ TDi 150 ARL) serviced by a local technician rather than the local dealer who has done a cracking job at a very reasonable price, whilst doing so he pointed out some of the areas where the car needs some work:

Pancake pipe (1J0145762BF) is damaged at the intercooler end and the retaining bracket is sheared. The other two intercooler pipes (1J0145834AA and 1J0145834AE) have worn bayonet lugs and seals.

Fitting a new standard pancake pipe (already ordered) and was thinking about replacing the pipes with a Forge kit. However the pipes are in good shape and I've found these forgemotorsport.co.uk/Alloy_Bayonet_Style_Hose_Coupler--product--600.html that would solve my problem. Had a search on the FAQ and the Mk1 forum but couldn't find anything that relates to this area.

Has anyone tried these, are they any good?
Does anyone know which is the correct size is? I think it's type B 64mm/54mm?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Last edited:

GTJEDI

Jan 26, 2012
Alloa, Central Scotland
I had problems with the lower pipe that goes in to the intercooler on the passenger side blowing off and I replaced the joint between the pipe and the intercooler with one of these and its been fine,I bought 2 as I plan on doing the joint at the other side of the cooler also just havent got round to it yet,I got mine from sfs motorsport,think they were only £16.50+vat so might be worth a look.

From what I can remember there is 3 different sizes used on our engines,the egr joint is one size,the turbo joint is one size and all the rest are another size,that being the size I got which is the same as option C in your link.

AL

phizzandlil

Divers go deeper!
Feb 22, 2009
Nr Gatwick
Thanks Al,
So you used type C 68.3mm x 63.5mm on your TDi at the intercooler?
As I understand it the o-ring seals are 61.5mm did you have to stretch them to fit?

Cheers, Phil.

GTJEDI

Jan 26, 2012
Alloa, Central Scotland
If you look on the diagram of the connector there's a machined recess for the seal to suit in which is closer to the seal size, will need stretched slightly to be put in.

AL

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Heya, did these work? Which suze did you order as my intercooler joint is very oily (the pipe from pancake pipe to intercooler) and id like to repair before it pops off!
Have you got a link where to buy from? Did you reuse the old hose or get a new section of hose? Thanks in advance.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Thanks for prompt reply, i have since found them, did you order type c, 68/63mm? Also do they fit on the standard hose with some stainless steel t lock jubilees?

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Ah brill, for now im doing the intercooler inlet, will measure the pancake outlet whilst there for future reference.
Does the oem bayonet just pull off the oem hose?

GTJEDI

Jan 26, 2012
Alloa, Central Scotland
No you have to cut through it to get it off, be careful though as it's pressed on over the top of the hose. What you want to do is cut through the aluminium bit which is only around 1mm thick without cutting the hose underneath so that you keep the full length on the hose.

AL

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
See what you mean, thanks for quick reply. My joint is soo oily, its only that joint too, but im not loosing boost, or that i notice, so its a preventative measure really

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.