Locking, and MPG issue

wrayvon

May 9, 2011
Bingley
Morning folks,

Got a couple of issues at the moment.

The first is my locking. The car auto locks at 5mph ish as you all know, but then the passenger side unlocks itself straight away. When I press unlock and lock again, sometimes it stays locked. I'm guessing an issue with the locking mechanism, but has anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

The second is my MPG. It has been a lot lower than normal for the past couple of months. E.g normally driving to work I get around 70mpg. Now I'm lucky to get 55. The only thing that has changed is it has been de-cat. Would this make that much difference?

I realise there probably isn't much to go on, but any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

wrayvon

May 9, 2011
Bingley
Not changed the fuel filter for a while, I'll get that done this weekend. Not sure how to test for a faulty injector though.

Thanks

simonmarshall82

Nov 29, 2014
Used to have the same "locking" issue with an altea, fixed it quickly by putting window down and with door closed pull the interior handle at the same time as pulling the exterior handle, took a couple of goes but eventually felt a click on the handles and it reset the lock mechanism.
Hope it helps.
Simon

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
MPG wise your going to notice a drop off as the weather gets colder and the car takes longer to warm up. Unless it was very sudden I would be happy with 55 mpg in the winter.

wrayvon

May 9, 2011
Bingley
Used to have the same "locking" issue with an altea, fixed it quickly by putting window down and with door closed pull the interior handle at the same time as pulling the exterior handle, took a couple of goes but eventually felt a click on the handles and it reset the lock mechanism.
Hope it helps.
Simon

Tried this at the weekend, unfortunately hasn't worked. I did notice though when I open the passenger side the interior light doesn't come on. So perhaps something else is amiss?

MPG wise your going to notice a drop off as the weather gets colder and the car takes longer to warm up. Unless it was very sudden I would be happy with 55 mpg in the winter.

I'm happy with getting 55 in winter, but it's been at this level for a few months now, i.e when it was warm :(

Fuel filter, Faulty injector?

Replaced the fuel filter, doesn't appear to have much if any difference. Darn :(

Any other suggestions folks?

Thanks again

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Sounds like you need a door lock mechanism. Generic part on eBay is about £40, genuine one about £120 IIRC. It is a job that's possible to do at home if you have the tools and know how, quite fiddly but not overly difficult.

A faulty temp sensor is a common fault and can also cause bad MPG. Have you had the car scanned for faults?

wrayvon

May 9, 2011
Bingley
Not even thought about scanning! Haha thanks I'll do that tonight.

Lock mechanism makes sense. I'll get researching it, thanks, that's really helpful :)

wrayvon

May 9, 2011
Bingley
Unfortunately, or fortunately(?) there were no codes when I scanned it yesterday. I may replace the sensor though, as they are pretty cheap so worth a try!

I shall let you know if anything improves!

Cupra_Bod

Oct 10, 2014
Not even thought about scanning! Haha thanks I'll do that tonight.

Lock mechanism makes sense. I'll get researching it, thanks, that's really helpful :)

Hi mate, I recently replaced the door lock mech and I found this very helpful...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285371

There is one thing I found that wasn't in there though, when you take the inner metal door card off, the reason you need to pull it to the front of the car (towards the door hinges) is because there is a clip that slides in and out of the door mechanism unit which is a bit awkward to remove so needs a bit of a tug also its a bit of a bitch to get back in when replacing the metal door card to line up the bolt holes...other than this it was a brilliant guide!

Hope you find it useful

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise