What's your MPG?

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
Currently own a 2014 1.2 tsi 105 Toledo which given i'd gone to buy a Leon i'm very happy with. However i've noticed that the official claimed figures for the MPG are way above what the car seems to manage.
It is supposedly capable of combined 55.4mpg and the absolute best i've ever managed to wring out of it is 49.8. I'm not overly heavy on the right foot and the car spends its life in town and using fast A-roads on a daily basis and the MPG is relatively consistent. Unfortunately it never quite lives up to billing.
I know these figures are absolute ideal world but I was surprised that the gap is almost 6mpg. What's everyone else getting?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I have one as well with 17's on

Since March I've got 50-52 indicated mpg out of nearly every tank. But Brim To Brim sums show my dash display is 6% high so I'm getting 47-49, driving like a bloody saint on a 25 mile mile A road commute.

Most people on the Skoda Rapid Forums are getting High 40's too, with the odd leadfoot in the high 30's.

Best is averaging 55mpg but I think he does a long gentle motorway commute daily.

It is difficult to get the ultimate mpg out of this little motor, I'm tempted to drive how I like and let it drop down towards 40 myself.

Optional 215x17s seem to cost around 5 mpg compared with the tiddly standard 15 inchers

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
I hadn't considered the bigger wheels making a difference. But you are right its all too easy to keep it pushing along instead of cruising. I'm well aware the mrs does too given the NIP that arrived the other morning!

I'm off down to my parent's on 22nd (Stafford to Cornwall) so i'll set the cruise at a steady pace and see what I can get back.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
One of the Skoda guys found that his tyre pressures were way low and got a big mpg jump by correcting them.

On long motorway runs my dash average mpg shows mid 40s with the cruise set at 75.

I'll be interested to see how you do.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I forgot, apart from big tyres & low pressures, aircon costs me about 3 mpg if left on as well...

But back to your first post, getting within 6 mpg of the official figure, with all the cheating the manufacturers are allowed to do, is actually amazing.

I think these small turbos are generally really hard to coax up to the official mpg -

for instance the ford 1 litre ecoboost turbo fiesta has official figure of 65.7 but many drivers find it does 45!!

Last edited:

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
Well I was delighted to tip over 50mpg on a steady run to the old's but that was a well measured journey with very little in the way of 'boot is best' method.

I'm also 101% certain that the mrs travels everywhere flat out- I simply cannot replicate her MPG without thrashing the chebs off the little critter

irl_techie

Mar 8, 2015
I have an APP now on my phone and have tracked the last 3 fills in my Toledo, 1.6D, 57.2pmg, 57.6mpg and 54.6mpg (This tank had a lot of motorway driving)

Quite happy with this as I don't go out of my way to drive gently, but I am not a speed demon either :)

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
I use road trip app, really good, also allows youtotrack fuel spend too, my 1.2tsi gets about 43-44 on maxi but 41 on app

steve75

Jun 3, 2015
Hi, new to the forum. Had my Toledo 1.2 TSI 105 iTech since September '14.
Done just over 13,500 miles so far. Usually I get between 47 and 52mpg. Has slowly improved over the miles.
On a long run, I tend to get around the mid-50s.
Tend to drive reasonably economically - cruise at 65-70 on the motorways - though I do give it the beans occasionally.

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
Highway driving on congested motorways, I was able to push out this morning 26.3km/l which I guess is 74.3 mpg. Was averaging 110 km/h (darn slow pokes and construction)

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I'm happy with the thirsty TSI instead.

It's smoother, quieter, better handling and ride, but I accept I have to pay the price at the pumps.

I never tried a petrol so can't compare but find mine quiet enough and the handling and ride is fine for me. Bit crashy with the low ish profile tyres but that's to be expected. To be honest after 18 months of ownership I still love it. I would definitely buy another.

steve75

Jun 3, 2015
Don't find my TSI particularly thirsty - still getting 48-52mpg from it. Still glad I chose it over the diesel - my last few cars have been diesel and I just find it so much more pleasant (the noise, power delivery, not having to wear gloves to fill up if I don't want my hands to stink!).

Got to say I find it slightly annoying that the trip computer seems to over estimate the mpg a bit though - its usually around 2-3 mpg over the actual economy. I guess this is the same in most cars though.
Most days, driving sensibly, I can get 50-55mpg on the trip. Best ever on a reasonable length journey (probably about 40 or 50 miles) was an indicated 62mpg!

Mind you, my wife's Polo with the same 1.2 TSI (albeit in 90 BHP spec) is regularly in the 60s! Her last tank worked out at about 61.5mpg. Admittedly, this is helped by a regular trip up from Hinckley up to Walsall where due to the traffic on the M6, she sits in with the trucks at 50-56mph and regularly gets an indicated 72mpg!!!

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Surprised me to find out the 1.2 86 was so much more economic than the 1.2 105 - but thats certainly the case among Briskoda owners. The Rapid 86 by all accounts way better on juice than the 105.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Surprised me to find out the 1.2 86 was so much more economic than the 1.2 105 - but thats certainly the case among Briskoda owners. The Rapid 86 by all accounts way better on juice than the 105.
Yeah but they are not as much fun as the 105

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

steve75

Jun 3, 2015
Yeah but they are not as much fun as the 105

Agree - comparing my wife's Polo 90 to my Toledo 105, its not just that it has a bit more power, throttle response is much crisper and the 6 speed box on mine means that mine will happily pull away in 2nd from a crawl where the Polo bogs down unless you select 1st.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
... agree it was no contest which to buy.

The Rapid SE Connect came with 86bhp/ Media system / 16 alloys and park sensors at 12990

The Toledo SE had all that and Climatronic / MFSW / 17 alloys / 105bhp / 6 speed/ etc at 12950

I chose it for the power unit alone at the same price.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.