Glow Plug Light flashing ?

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
My 2004 Seat Leon FR PD150 TDI has a flashing glowplug light on startup.

Car has recently had a new crankshaft sensor, 2 new rear brake light bulbs, 4 new glowplugs, new Genuine VW glowplug harness and a new brake pedal switch, Always starts fine but its still showing on the dash......any ideas ?

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
BUMP.....anyone ?

Need to get it in for the MOT which expired time ago, but cant book it in until this lights gone off the dash ?

b21playa

oil burner
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham
I had the same light, bought a brake light switch but turned out to be 2 failed brake bulbs. I know you've changed your bulbs, so maybe it's the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Well the brake switch was fitted by a garage as the car was in having a lot of work done. Looking at the switch it's a black one so my guess is it's not a genuine VW one. I might just get another one myself from VW and fit it myself and see if that makes any difference. Think they are normally purple or green. I've already fitted two of these in the past as them seem like a common problem.

Just to note, all my brake lights are working fine.

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
My old fr needs a new glow plug harness John, however VW or SEAT refuse to order one for us unless they see the harness to get the correct one. There are apparently two and for two totally separate franchises to say the same thing without speaking to the other one probably says something lol. I saw your thread with Dave, and thought at the time about this so without questioning Dave maybe you have the wrong harness? Have you got the old one or can you check the part number on it?

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Also, it won't be the brake light switch I don't think because it's a solid light isn't it when the switch fails? Also, the brake lights do not work which yours do.... Might be worth a try first though with a genuine one as it's a few quid cheaper and only takes 20 mins to do.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
My old fr needs a new glow plug harness John, however VW or SEAT refuse to order one for us unless they see the harness to get the correct one. There are apparently two and for two totally separate franchises to say the same thing without speaking to the other one probably says something lol. I saw your thread with Dave, and thought at the time about this so without questioning Dave maybe you have the wrong harness? Have you got the old one or can you check the part number on it?

Also, it won't be the brake light switch I don't think because it's a solid light isn't it when the switch fails? Also, the brake lights do not work which yours do.... Might be worth a try first though with a genuine one as it's a few quid cheaper and only takes 20 mins to do.

Cheers for the info Josh, will look into it mate :)

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Flashing glow plug light on mine was failed rear bulbs, you haven't got non standard bulbs in or one bulb the wrong way round? Have you had a code reader on the car to see if there is any errors?

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Flashing glow plug light on mine was failed rear bulbs, you haven't got non standard bulbs in or one bulb the wrong way round? Have you had a code reader on the car to see if there is any errors?

Nope, all standard brand new Bosch bulbs all inserted the correct way.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Had the 4 wheel laser alignment done so the steering wheel is pointing stright now when drving in a straight line.

added a new Genuine VW brake light switch and the coil light is still flashing, must be the glowplug harness that Josh suggested.

Josh do you know the difference between the 2 harnesses ?

Last edited:

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Bloody he'll sorry John just seen this, one is a 2 or 3 wire and the other is a 4 wire bridge harness. Just changed one on another 150 and it sorted the problem. However, his light wasn't flashing. Just re read what u posted and I suppose it could possibly be the wrong harness, maybe just the obvious like a plug? Or 4 lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.