G450 sensor replacement

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi,

Had my car serviced by seat Aberdeen last month and a week later the engine management light came on. A check with vag-com said:

001137 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450): Implausible Signal
P0471 - 006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent - MIL ON

I didn't reset it as i wanted all the info left for the garage.

I phoned the seat garage in Aberdeen, they said not to worry and booked it in for 3 weeks time (would be Friday 27th).

Drove about (town & motorway, around 800 miles) with no issues, light went off for a few miles once, nothing more.

Car was parked at airport for a week until Monday night when (around half midnight) i was driving along Edinburgh bypass at a swift pace the DPF warning light came on.

For the last 30 mins of the journey, i followed the DPF regen instructions as much as road conditioned allowed just so i was keeping things right. It stayed on as i went down the A7 to the inlaws and came on first start this morning.

Was due to drive back to Aberdeen and i didnt want to with the DPF light on so I took to to Rutherfords Seat at Earlston and explained the situation.

They were great and took the car immediately. They were surprised Aberdeen was ok with me driving for so long with the engine management light on.

This is where things get fun...

They picked up the sensor error, however the Guided fault finding (GFF) was not working properly as the car has lost its DPF map. They asked if i had a new DPF which i didnt so they were sure the ECU had been reset which was something i was never aware of happening.

I believe he entered a DPF map which he had on file which allowed the guided fault finding to work. This said the sensor was OK and there was a fault with the DPF and recommended a regeneration however the ECU would not permit a forced regeneration.

Normally, when the car doesn't permit a forced regeneration the GFF concludes with an out of warranty new DPF as the only course of action = ££££

However, the mechanic checked the data blocks for the G450 sensor (Block 67, field 3, pressure in mBar) and found it read always 0mBar. He was sure it was a faulty sensor and had one in stock.

They said, they would change it but would have no choice but to charge me as the GFF would not permit a warranty repair. They quoted me £42 for the G450 sensor and an hour at £53 all + VAT to do the job.

I said ok as i needed to get up the road that day and needed the car working.

They changed the sensor and everything is now working fine. regenerated ok and all fault codes cleared.

They said it really should be a warranty job however the GFF would never have allowed them to do it. on the invoice they put a technical few lines which would permit me to try and get the money of seat (details below)

The guys at Earlston were brilliant, really helpful and accommodating. Very through and tried to get it through as a direct warranty repair and were unable too.

Going to write to seat to (try to) get my £110.

So, from this ive learned/confirmed:

- My true DPF load is around 20% (nowhere near any regen limits) which is what is to be expected and is a normal steady level.

- 91% DPF load is when they write it off as un-recoverable

- If the DPF is fooked due to a sensor then the DPF is replaceable under warranty

- The Aberdeen dealer has at some point reset the ECU or done something to cause it to not know how full it is (possibly reasons below)

- The G450 sensor can be replaced for £42 + labour + VAT

- The G450 sensor part number is SE-03G906051A

Two possible reasons for the ECU getting reset:
1) When they changed the turbo last October under warranty in Aberdeen
2) When i got it serviced the "Service Now" message would not clear. Every time they cleared it, it came back again. They mech. in Aberdeen had the car for around 30 mins before he came and said he had successfully reset the service indicator. (and then, 6 days later the management light comes on...) I dont know what he did...

On the invoice they wrote:
24/08/2010
Carried out guided fault finding for code 01139 exhaust pressure sensor a high static. Sensor checked out ok in guided fault finding. Unable to regenerate DPF. Read measured value blocks 67 field 3 found reading at constant 0 milibar. suspect G450 faulty. Fit new G450, regenerated DPF.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
So many people get DPF problems and lights on the dash just after a service. Seat must be doing something that causes this if you ask me. :think:

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Update on this... Guess what.....

somebody called Laura Blake, Case Manager at SEAT Sheffield wrote back saying that they will not pay for this under warranty as there was no fault with the sensor and it was my choise to pay for it!

Tw**s!

Going to write back, if needs be it will be small claims court, done it before - its easy and free! cant see anybody from seat being bothered to attend in Aberdeen.

Anybody with any common scene can see:

-Car not working
-Change part
-Car working
= part was faulty!

Anybody except Laura Blake can see that!!

Stuart

JB_cupra

Jan 27, 2013
Cambridgeshire
Thank you very much for this post been suffering with similar issues and the code and field I checked from your original post helped me find out my pressure sensor was at fault I was starting to worry that there was a problem with the dpf which I wasn't looking forward to being the case!!

Thanks again :)

Jody.