AWD conversion on a cupra 280

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
So been checking the possibility of this being done...out of interest only.....for now as the ST comes with 4 drive. It is possible to do a simple bolt on job with some minor modification to the boot floor in a 5 door Cupra 280 as the wheel base on both are identical measuring at 2631mm. Sadly on the SC the wheelbase measure in at 2596mm which means the propshaft would a) need to be modifies and shortened or b) one needs to be made up so still possible.

Question is.....who is gonna have a go at it first [B)]

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
yup, just checked the GOLG R wheelbase and that comes in at 2630mm so I am pretty sure it can be done hehehe

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
There's a guy doing it to his MK3 SC FR and fitting a S3 engine.

It will be easier, was talking about this the other day.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
If you wanted haldex why didn't you just get a golf R or S3, the price difference between those two and a cupra 280 isn't even that much. Ridiculous idea when golf R's are available for peanuts on lease!

Andrew why no APR map?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
If you wanted haldex why didn't you just get a golf R or S3, the price difference between those two and a cupra 280 isn't even that much. Ridiculous idea when golf R's are available for peanuts on lease!

Andrew why no APR map?

Maybe i prefer the look of the Leon with the awd system :shrug: Yes I can get a golf r but sadly looks wise they do nothing for me whereas the cupra just works for me.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I would agree the Cupra is a better looking car but by the time you buy a Cupra, buy a 4WD donor car then pay someone to do the conversion, it just doesn't make financial sense. Fine if you are an eccentric millionaire but for most of us it would be financial suicide.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
I don't think easement has anything to do with it but then again where is the fun in that. It would be easier to buy a R and swap the body panels and steering wheel off a cupra lol but that sounds like cheating :D

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I originally chose the Leon over a Golf R because of the way they look and the rumours (at the time) in the press of a forthcoming AWD Cupra R. Sadly, just seems to be only a rumour now and unlikely to happen...

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Andrew why no APR map?

APR UK HQ was 2 mins round the corner from me, Now the HQ is in Germany and their UK HQ is Manchester at Awesome GTI.

Plus... the map still isn't out.

REVO.. 25 minute drive to their HQ.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
But you irfan and poverty said APR was the best thing since sliced bread and nothing came close to there maps and the way they're calibrated them and customer service and just the whole package... forgive me but it is a little funny you now have Revo.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
That was for the TFSI engine.. I still stand by them comments the APR tune for a Stage1 to Stage2+ is very good.

TSI on the other hand.. well we will see, REVO contacted me and asked me if I wanted to come test it and I said yes. However the APR TCU upgrade for DSG is something I am very interested in.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I would agree the Cupra is a better looking car but by the time you buy a Cupra, buy a 4WD donor car then pay someone to do the conversion, it just doesn't make financial sense. Fine if you are an eccentric millionaire but for most of us it would be financial suicide.

Not all of us pay retail ;)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Massive waste of money when there are so many alternatives out there.

I can understand why a company may take something like this on, but for an individual to do it, they must have more money than sense.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Can you get me a cheap Golf R in that case?

I probably could since we deal with VW but maybe i won't :p

Massive waste of money when there are so many alternatives out there.

I can understand why a company may take something like this on, but for an individual to do it, they must have more money than sense.

I have neither but hell, i would still take the challenge on :D

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Was at the dealers today for a chat and the salesman informed me of the following;
"would you fancy the new Cupra R when it comes?" I said "didn't think there was one coming, and it would need to be AWD" he said "watch this space, I'll give you a ring when we get it".

Got me all excited now