turbo blown advise for repair

Apr 13, 2011
hull
OK all well as it says my turbo had given up on my seat Ibiza cupra TDI 2007 at 60k was rempaed by jabba sport at 30k

Basicly what I wanted to know is where would the best place be to buy a replament turbo.. I have found one at dsrkside deveoplemnts for £700 which is not a bad price.

Next I wanted to get more power from my car since the turbo has blown but ain't got the funds to buy a bigger turbo or clucth etc.

Next could the remap casused the turbo to blow because it has been seviced very regular and always been cooled down etc so I wonderd why has the turbo blown at 60k miles seems abit low really.

Any advise to help my new turbo stay well and heathly cheers all

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Remap will decrease the lifespan of engine components, 30k is abit poo from a Turbo tho - although it depends on what boost they had pushed it to.

britishsligean

Dec 23, 2014
Ireland
£700 isn't bad, my dad blew his stock turbo in his Altea about 75,000 miles, it would have cost us €1500 (about £1100) ended up getting one from a VW supplier for about 1/3 the price, also turns out we got the one for the red i model not the regular model we had

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Your best bet for more power is the get a hybrid as your PD160 turbo is the best standard turbo that will fit the engine. A hybrid will require minimal work to fit as they are the stock exhaust housing with slightly bigger internals so fit in the same place and attach to the original pipe work.

The only issue is that you'll then need to setup the hybrid and get the car mapped to suit.
Some hybrids can now push power to the 210-220bhp mark with the appropriate setup and standard injectors.

You've got a good car to start as you've already got a front mount intercooler and decent brakes to stop it ;)

PS - Darkside Developments' prices don't include VAT. This is added at the end.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
hull
Would my car still run with a hybrid turbo due to my Car is at work and I'll be fixing it my slef so I would need to drive it somewhere to get mapped plus do u know anywhere that u can get a reliable hybrid turbo from

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Where would be the best place to get a hybrid turbo with spending the earth but also being good quilty hybrid

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
XMAN750 is a user in Briskoda, he sells reliable turbos at good prices.

It is not recommended running the turbo for too long on a standard map as it will cause issues and possibly start damaging it. A remap is needed.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
XMAN750 is a user in Briskoda, he sells reliable turbos at good prices.

It is not recommended running the turbo for too long on a standard map as it will cause issues and possibly start damaging it. A remap is needed.

Not true for just a hybrid turbo - without getting too technical the only thing that would change in your map are the boost parameters - i.e. up the boost. Pretty sure Jabba would keep the rest of the file the same - possibly change some of the fuel maps.
As your car is already stg1 mapped you can run a hybrid turbo without having to get it mapped again - if anything keep it that way for reliability. Speak to Jabba and tell them you want it updated to reflect the new turbo capabilities - shouldn't cost too much...

OR ignore all that and buy a GTB turbo, change your exhaust, clutch & flywheel and injectors and you'll be good for 260-280 :lol: parts from my car may be up for grabs soon...

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Sooo, bit of a hijack. I have a poorly FR tdi (BLT engine) that I think may have a dud turbo. Whats my best bolt on replacement?

Doesn't look like it would cost me much more to bolt on a pd160 than to stick with what I suspect is a kkk turbo?

rivigo

Jan 1, 2014
UK
Sooo, bit of a hijack. I have a poorly FR tdi (BLT engine) that I think may have a dud turbo. Whats my best bolt on replacement?

Doesn't look like it would cost me much more to bolt on a pd160 than to stick with what I suspect is a kkk turbo?

Either get the PD160 turbo or get the PD130 Garrett GT1749VA (think that it right). The KKK turbos are naff so when mine blew on my BLT engine I replaced it with the garrett.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Either get the PD160 turbo or get the PD130 Garrett GT1749VA (think that it right). The KKK turbos are naff so when mine blew on my BLT engine I replaced it with the garrett.

That's what I'm thinking. Are they both a straight bolt-on? I have been reading that I will need to map it to suit the PD160 turbo.

rivigo

Jan 1, 2014
UK
It will probably run but no advised without a map I don't think. The one I changed to got the pd130 is bolt on as long as you get one with the manifold interested on

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Hmm, DOing some reading.

I have a BLT engine, therefore I'll have a KKK turbo. THis has blown.

If I swap for a new KKK unit I have a new, vulnerable, turbo.

If I replace for a Garret GT1749A I won't need a remap, but I will need to remove the EGR and deal with the EML light.

If I replace for a Garret GT1749B I will need a remap, and need to remove the EGR and deal with the EML Light.

Sound correct?

rivigo

Jan 1, 2014
UK
I think that's right yeah. I had an EGR delete anyway so I still had the same engine management light errors.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Hmm, DOing some reading.

I have a BLT engine, therefore I'll have a KKK turbo. THis has blown.

If I swap for a new KKK unit I have a new, vulnerable, turbo.

If I replace for a Garret GT1749A I won't need a remap, but I will need to remove the EGR and deal with the EML light.

If I replace for a Garret GT1749B I will need a remap, and need to remove the EGR and deal with the EML Light.

Sound correct?

or just buy a GTB2260vk.
You wont have an EML light if you get it mapped and buy yourself a 4 bar map sensor :lol:

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
or just buy a GTB2260vk.
You wont have an EML light if you get it mapped and buy yourself a 4 bar map sensor :lol:

That's definitely the cheap, sensible option!!!
Think I'm going to get a GT1749VA, and probably fit it myself this weekend. Unless my mechanic pulls a miracle out the bag on pricing tomorrow.
Just going to buy a couple of blanks to blank the manifold EGR hole and the bottom of the cooler for now. Will work out a better solution later. EGR light will be dealt with (for now) by ignoring it. Long term I might get a pipe fabbed up to join the two.

On the shopping list:
Turbo
Exhaust Gasket
Inlet Gasket
Exhaust Nuts
EGR Blanks
Oil Return Gasket
Downpipe Gasket
I have fresh oil and a filter already.

Following this guide and a haynes manual!
http://willpanchaud.com/TurboInstallGuide.pdf

Last edited:

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
That's definitely the cheap, sensible option!!!
Think I'm going to get a GT1749VA, and probably fit it myself this weekend. Unless my mechanic pulls a miracle out the bag on pricing tomorrow.
Just going to buy a couple of blanks to blank the manifold EGR hole and the bottom of the cooler for now. Will work out a better solution later. EGR light will be dealt with (for now) by ignoring it. Long term I might get a pipe fabbed up to join the two.

On the shopping list:
Turbo
Exhaust Gasket
Inlet Gasket
Exhaust Nuts
EGR Blanks
Oil Return Gasket
Downpipe Gasket
I have fresh oil and a filter already.

Following this guide and a haynes manual!
http://willpanchaud.com/TurboInstallGuide.pdf

Isn't the output shaft on the A version smaller hence the narrower intercooler pipe work on the FR?

Edit sorry thought you were the original poster with the Cupra, my bad.

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
They are the same.

The GT1749VA is the PD130 and GT1749VB is the PD150/160 turbo. The pipe work is slightly bigger from the turbo outlet pipe not turbo. The housings are the same and are pretty much a straight swap with mapping.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
They are the same.

The GT1749VA is the PD130 and GT1749VB is the PD150/160 turbo. The pipe work is slightly bigger from the turbo outlet pipe not turbo. The housings are the same and are pretty much a straight swap with mapping.

So it's just the pipework that differs then. The Cupra also has the GTA1749MV turbo, that is what replaced mine when it blew, I think that was the part number after the facelift but is identical to the GT1749VB. I even emailed Garrett for confirmation as I was worried :p
https://garrett.honeywell.com/product-search/?view=detail&id=3429