turbo blown advise for repair

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
That's definitely the cheap, sensible option!!!
Think I'm going to get a GT1749VA, and probably fit it myself this weekend. Unless my mechanic pulls a miracle out the bag on pricing tomorrow.
Just going to buy a couple of blanks to blank the manifold EGR hole and the bottom of the cooler for now. Will work out a better solution later. EGR light will be dealt with (for now) by ignoring it. Long term I might get a pipe fabbed up to join the two.

On the shopping list:
Turbo
Exhaust Gasket
Inlet Gasket
Exhaust Nuts
EGR Blanks
Oil Return Gasket
Downpipe Gasket
I have fresh oil and a filter already.

Following this guide and a haynes manual!
http://willpanchaud.com/TurboInstallGuide.pdf

That is an excellent guide, one of the better ones I've seen. Just take your time and you'll have it done knowing its right!
I have an OEM exhaust gasket, EGR blanks and even my old egr delete (but it has a whole drilled into it for my water methanol - but can be covered with the boost pipe going on the inlet.
Anyway let me know if you need any of that - PM me and we can discuss.

They are the same.

The GT1749VA is the PD130 and GT1749VB is the PD150/160 turbo. The pipe work is slightly bigger from the turbo outlet pipe not turbo. The housings are the same and are pretty much a straight swap with mapping.

Don't need mapping for that turbo swap...

So it's just the pipework that differs then. The Cupra also has the GTA1749MV turbo, that is what replaced mine when it blew, I think that was the part number after the facelift but is identical to the GT1749VB. I even emailed Garrett for confirmation as I was worried :p
https://garrett.honeywell.com/product-search/?view=detail&id=3429

Yup that's right...the MV was a revision to the bearings and came out a little later-exactly when I cant remember...

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Well after stripping turbo and finding out the turbo has blown its self into two pieces and finding that the spindle and impeller has gone all the way through the engine I have decided to let the car go as spheres and repaires because I haven't got the time or money to repair it

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Wow, usually when a turbo goes it's the impeller that comes into slight contact with the housing, some pieces from the wheel break off but that's about it, I wouldn't have thought you would get anything big being sucked through...infact I'd highly doubt it because the suction with no turbo from your Diesel engine wouldn't be enought to suck up the compressor wheel...IF it did break up that bad it would be somewhere in your pipe work or in your intercooler.
A turbo replacement and a good clean/flush of your intercooler/pipe work and an oil change will see you back on the road :)

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Na the inplella is gone the turbo was in two half's the egr valve has metel deadbury in also the air filter has peices in its made one hell of a mess

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Sounds like a massive blow! I had to have a new intercooler as mine was full of metal shards but nothing had gone beyond the pipe work in to the engine.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Na the inplella is gone the turbo was in two half's the egr valve has metel deadbury in also the air filter has peices in its made one hell of a mess

Woah that sounds bad! Big shame if you have to scrap the car because of it though...

Ended up putting mine in for the work. I don't really have the time and getting mates rates on the labour!

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Apologies if this is maybe on another thread but with the subject of turbo's being discussed I thought it would make sense to ask. Over the past week i have noticed a faint whistling on build up of revs but also since Friday while defrosting all the ice i have left the car idling to warm up and after about 5 mins the whistling appears again just on idle. Is this sign of it approaching death or is there anything I can do? Cheers, Jack

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Some people will say its on it way but my cupra OK the turbo has blown made that whisle sound for 3.5 years and 80000 miles so I wouldnt go worrying

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Cheers for the reply dude, is the turbo for the Cupra any different than on the pd130 FR? I'm guessing it will be due to the BHP difference. I'll keep an eye on it but glad to know yours is still okay as the list for maintenance/repairs on mine is growing ever longer haha

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Cheers for the reply dude, is the turbo for the Cupra any different than on the pd130 FR? I'm guessing it will be due to the BHP difference. I'll keep an eye on it but glad to know yours is still okay as the list for maintenance/repairs on mine is growing ever longer haha

Different turbo than the cupra.
Firstly - leaving your diesel to warm up during idle wont work...Diesel engines are more thermally efficient that petrols. Therefore they don't warm up very well at idle. Instead you should warm it up by driving it, being gentle and keeping rpms between 2500 to 3000 for the first few miles.

Secondly - the whistle may be a small boost leak somewhere - you'll just need to try and find it, it could also be your inlet/exhaust manifold gasket(s).
The fact that you're saying that the whistle appears after a little time suggests that its a gasket leaking somewhere - check exhaust gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and inlet manifold gasket.

Last edited:

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
I wasn't letting it warm up from idle i just meant i turned it over whilst i was defrosting/scraping ice off to get the heaters going and that's when i noticed the constant whistle. I'll get it checked out when it's in for a new cambelt. Love the cupra mate! Wish I'd gone for one now thanks for the reply

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Mine does that (or did, might not any more!), starts after a couple of minutes of idling. Seems to be coupled with a slight change in engine note too. I've always just figured it was the EGR adjusting because of EGT changes or something at idle.

Mine warms up quite nicely if I leave it to idle! Doesn't get hot hot, but gets enough heat in it to take the chill out the air and clear the windows for me.

saltydog

Jan 19, 2015
Just bought an 07 TDI Cupra and loving it! After a caddy van its mental. How to keep the points of my licence??? Sorry off topic. Just loving it. Hope the turbos not rooted on yours fella, are they variable vain? Same as Leon and golf gttdi?

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
I wouldn't have a clue mate, first Seat, first diesel and first turbo I've had haha so I'm a complete noob! Spending so much time on here trying to read up! The cupra's are ace good choice dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltydog

Jan 19, 2015
Audible chuckle. That lol to the uninitiated. My first seat, but its a vag underneath so used to them. Keep stalling it ATM as the SDI has low down torque and could pull away in third... Lower compression in a turbo car I guess. Need to get used to it... Why they only made the 160 for four years I don't know! Its the poor mans c63amg! Wheels spin dropping into 4th and it's standard! Will try not to get it on its roof! Are there any UK fb pages for cupras? Had a search and found v few.

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
I'm not on facebook mate, I really wish I would have gone for the Cupra found some really good examples when I was looking but the insurance was astronomical! So I had to compromise and get the FR, still enjoy it though. Was driving the Mrs Audi a1 between getting a new one so the Ibiza seems really unrefined to me especially with it being diesel but it's growing on me :)

saltydog

Jan 19, 2015
Yep drivology is going to rape my bank account after 3 months. Uses phone app to monitor driving.. Scary

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
I really like hers 140bhp 1.4 tfsi but probably about as quick as my FR. Handles and rides 10x better than Ibiza's but I see what you mean probably a little girly and small to look at. She seems to think she's quicker, pfffffft!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.