LED headlights in snow

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Last night when I pulled up , lights on dipped, when I turned engine off they seemed to get brighter, tried it again this morning and it definitely does..... Wtf is that all about? They do not move so its not the auto levelling.....

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I've raised mine by 1 turn. No dazzle, better range. Set very conservatively at the factory and not reset at pdi

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I think headlight technology has moved on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years , I took my leon out for a drive last night which has xenons and it was like driving with candles compared to the xenons in my golf , which are like search lights.
When I first got my leon I thought the xenons were like search lights , so just goes to show how quickly things have moved on in such little time.
One thing I have noticed with the mk3 LED headlights is that you can clearly make out the led's in the headlights when they are on , which to me suggests that they could do with being a tad brighter , the pattern is totally different compared to an xenon as well , it's like they are trying to copy fords pattern and throw.
One thing about having washer jets which is bloody pointless , is if your jets pop out of the bumper and spray then pop back in then in frozen weather they won't pop out and will blow a fuse , happened a few times in my mk 2 leon , havent driven the golf in frozen conditions yet so can't comment.
But after having xenons there is no way I would go back to halogens , it would have to be xenons first , led's second and halogen third.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Last night when I pulled up , lights on dipped, when I turned engine off they seemed to get brighter, tried it again this morning and it definitely does..... Wtf is that all about? They do not move so its not the auto levelling.....

Other electrics causing a current drain ? Heater , air con , rear heated screen ?
I know led's current drain is minimal but must be affected by the current available.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Other electrics causing a current drain ? Heater , air con , rear heated screen ?
I know led's current drain is minimal but must be affected by the current available.
Probably this morning as it was peanut smuggling weather, the heater, hrw & mirrors would have been on, last night car had been on quite a run so bit different, just seemed strange. Checked Passat (standard halogen with nightbreakers) tonight and didn't notice a change when I switched off. I'll keep an eye on it.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Is this an easy job ? Mine seem waaaay too low on the road... !

Very easy with a long screwdriver or better still an Allen key.

If you are interested I'll look up my worksheet as it's important to mark the original setting so you can always go back. Oh and by way we had an earlier discussion somewhere here which exposed the workshop manual as being wrong

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Just to be clear from the diagram in gartner's post, you want screw 2 (TWO) *NOT* as from the workshop manual diagram screw 1.

I found 1 turn anticlockwise on each side did the trick. I used a 6mm Allen Key which is probably better than a cross head screwdriver as it will grip the Nylon head better.

Take care over this as StevenM stripped the thread when adjusting his screw 1 although that does have a remote mechanism http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=409802&page=6

Last edited:

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire

The coming home/leaving home lights have the side lights on at 100%, but they dim to something like 70% when the engine is running. Probably that?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.