looking at buying FR+ 170

Jasonh85

Aug 9, 2014
Considering its a 55 litre tank, works out at 12.1 gallons so it's only getting 41mpg? Doesn't sound right... Unless you guys only fill up to 50 litres due to the light coming on etc. I can get 32mpg currently from my fn2 which I'm considering moving away from

Spose in summer the figures may look a little better

Last edited:

JordanJJA1

Newbie somes it up
Nov 7, 2014
Factor in price differences on fuel + quality of fuel.

Tbh mate it doesn't sound like this is the car for you. You seem to be talking yourself out of it more than anything else.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Ours does quite a lot of town runs with the school run twice a day.
But does a motorway commute of 40 miles a time on her work days.
Usually 75-80mph averages 480 miles but gets fuel in before the light comes on.
Computer shows 47mpg in the warmer months and 44mpg in the winter months.
Perfect combination of economy and performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasonh85

Aug 9, 2014
well I've put a deposit down on it, but I do seem to be a bit negative lol, in my CTR I can get 320 in winter or up to 350 in summer on a commute. which is around 32-34mpg, if the FR is gonna cost the same to run, kinda defeats the object of it lols

Jasonh85

Aug 9, 2014
So I tested the car again today for 2nd time but now having 2nd thoughts.

Coming from a FN2 the interior on the Leon is no where close, despite the FR+ having the toys.

I noticed cruising at 70mph the computer is reading 43-46mpg, total trip average was 47mpg which was mainly A road cruising at 70mp and 40mpg heading into town.

road noise was really loud for some reason, my Fn2 has 18's and the noise isn't that obtrusive.

Not sure what to do now.

Also I noticed a really faint buzzing - not sure where it came from, but I only noticed it after hard acceleration.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
If your having doubts before it then that's your answer.
From reading your previous posts I don't think it's the car for you.
I do doubt you'll find a car with the performance of the FR with better economy for the money.
It's not just Seat who are optimistic with real life mpg figures.

chrispyvrs

Dec 25, 2012
So I tested the car again today for 2nd time but now having 2nd thoughts.

Coming from a FN2 the interior on the Leon is no where close, despite the FR+ having the toys.

I noticed cruising at 70mph the computer is reading 43-46mpg, total trip average was 47mpg which was mainly A road cruising at 70mp and 40mpg heading into town.

road noise was really loud for some reason, my Fn2 has 18's and the noise isn't that obtrusive.

Not sure what to do now.

Also I noticed a really faint buzzing - not sure where it came from, but I only noticed it after hard acceleration.

The sound is the fuel injectors. Nothing to worry about.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I agree, maybe you should just leave it and look at getting something different.

Interior styling is really down to personal taste. I actually like the Leon Mk2 facelift interior. I don't however like the FN2 dashboard - it looks too much like a spaceship and I deteste digital speedos.

Mine does a lot of short around town journeys usually with a longer journey at the weekends. Over the 18 month period I've owned it, it's averaged 34mpg in that time. That has been calculated properly from actual fuel-ups and not from the make-believe average MPG reading in the trip computer display. The best I've ever achieved between fuel-ups has been 47mpg and that included a long road trip through Europe consisting of hours of motorway driving at constant speeds on cruise control.

The OEM tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's. These are renowned for having a high rolling resistance which won't help with either road noise or fuel consumption so be aware of this. You can of course change the tyres to something different and you can also mitigate some of the excess cabin noise by fitting additional soundproofing under the carpets and in the door panels. The equivalent Golf Mk6 that the Leon Mk2 is based on has better interior noise reduction because they apparently fitted the additional soundproofing at the factory. There are reasons that the Leon is a cheaper car than the Golf.

Jasonh85

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks marshall/Speed freek, I think it's that my first choice was an Audi/Seat

I spose it's the figure but its also the total package - although it comes with the toys, I don't seem to be wowed by sitting inside it for some reason.

hmm - its tough guess I might have to consider losing my deposit and hunt for something else.

Other things are that i'm buying a car purely for commute, I could be moving away which will take that factor away.

Jasonh85

Aug 9, 2014
I think I wanted to go with 10-11k, however thinking about it that might not get me the car I want, rather spend that little bit more than maybe regret it

JordanJJA1

Newbie somes it up
Nov 7, 2014
I started about about 3 grand less than I ended up spending and haven't looked back.

You would probably get a decent mk5 gtd or a 2008 a3 2.0tdi sline 140 bhp for that which wont have the extras, mileage or recent age as an Fr+.

Probably best looking at something like a recent mk6 gold tdi gt model (not the gtd). Comes with 140bhp. Not sporty outside but reasonable inside.

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
My 08 Pd170 FR has 108k on it now and runs lovely. I do 60 miles a day and get 50 mpg without trying even in cold weather. Summer see 55 mpg. The CR should be a little better if anything.

Jimbo

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.