Thinking it's time to drive it like I've stole it!

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Came up today on my fr ST
f040dc236b27b9c3618fb2303ce3be01.jpg
:eek:

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
How many miles has it done? Does it get a good run on the motorway or lots of short journeys?

Anywayup, seems a bit young for a blocked DPF.

Last edited:

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Just hit 4000 miles. Issue is it hasn't been on the motorway for a couple of weeks so just short trips to the office and back!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Just hit 4000 miles. Issue is it hasn't been on the motorway for a couple of weeks so just short trips to the office and back!

This DPF thing is going to be the death of diesels. I loved my PD160 Biza Cupra so fast and powerfull, but I changed back to petrol once the DPF nightmare stories emerged and won't be going back.:(

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Less than 6 miles town driving in rush hour traffic. Usually I'm on the motorway at least one day a week but have been stuck in the office this month. Manual stated to drive it for 15 minutes in 5th gear and it should sort itself out.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
We just purchased a diesel octavia for my wife, pick it up on Sunday but didnt even know about DPF's until recently. We decided that I'll thrash her car once every couple of weeks on a longer run to my work as she mostly does town driving... downside to that is she will get my cupra for a day every couple of weeks when i get it (god help the alloys!)

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
This is the reason i dumped diesel, after 20 plus years, sad as i prefer they way they drive.

Petrols have come on leaps and bounds though in terms of efficiency recently. Its almost as if you need to make a choice now depending on how often you drive.

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Well I've sorted by going down the road for a nice drive cruising at 75. Took 10 minutes and the yellow triangle disappeared. Let's hope it doesn't come back!

Flaw3d Genius

Jan 8, 2015
Glasgow
This DPF thing is going to be the death of diesels. I loved my PD160 Biza Cupra so fast and powerfull, but I changed back to petrol once the DPF nightmare stories emerged and won't be going back.:(

I've had a DPF on my 2.0 Astra for the past 3 years and not had a single problem and my driving is 95% town driving, Have to be honest and say i have not seen many horror stories and if they are out there am sure they are few and far between compared to the amount of cars that now have them. The only problem with DPF is for the 5 mins it's cleaning your MPG goes down quite a bit.

I certainly would not have a problem buying the Leon diesel with a dpf although i did go for the 1.4 ACT :D

Last edited:

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
My 1.6tdi DSG is doing my head in, it appears to be doing a forced regeneration every few days - I do 400 - 600 miles a week on the motorway mainly, at the speed limits. Today I drove from Bristol to Crewe in 4th gear (!!) to try and clear it out (no warning message or light, just a 1000rpm tickover and no stopstart). The journey seemed to have sorted it, but it's now doing it again just 40 miles later. Last week I did the same 3 days in a row.

Service time soon, i'm going to have to say something because I don't think it's working right.

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
My 1.6tdi DSG is doing my head in, it appears to be doing a forced regeneration every few days - I do 400 - 600 miles a week on the motorway mainly, at the speed limits. Today I drove from Bristol to Crewe in 4th gear (!!) to try and clear it out (no warning message or light, just a 1000rpm tickover and no stopstart). The journey seemed to have sorted it, but it's now doing it again just 40 miles later. Last week I did the same 3 days in a row.

Service time soon, i'm going to have to say something because I don't think it's working right.

That's not unusual my 184 used to do the same although I never had the warning light. My wife had a Mini 1.6D Cooper and that was always doing a forced regen the only thing was the whole car used to vibrate when the fans kicked in ... although it took the Mini dealership's so called 'technicians' months to work out what it was doing :blink:

Rotrax

Jan 8, 2015
Aberdeenshire
I currently have a RS megane 175 diesel the DPF did my head in so much that I ended up taking it out. At the time was doing 54mile round trips each day main back roads couldn't get it to regen, took it onto dualler got it to regen. 2 days later it was back.
Since I am now selling the car ready for my new Cupra I have put a brand new DPF in and got car reflashed back to factory settings, 1 week into using it DPF fault back unable to regen once again :cry: Taking it for a blast this weekend but suspect it will only cure it for a short time. Never again will I drive a diesel, even though I realise most work ok.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
the more I read about DPFs the more it worries me I bought the 184, even though the light's never come on!
and I hardly EVER drive it like I stole it....get regen sounds when I park up sometimes but no light so far.
he said, touching wood like a good 'un.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
the more I read about DPFs the more it worries me I bought the 184, even though the light's never come on!
and I hardly EVER drive it like I stole it....get regen sounds when I park up sometimes but no light so far.
he said, touching wood like a good 'un.

Driving like you stole it will just pump more soot in to a DPF.

It used to work on the older non DPF cars to clear them out ( Italian tune up :rofl:)

The DPF is cleared best at a steady 2200rpm above 38mph where the ECU can adjust the fueling to heat up the exhaust temps and burn off the excess soot.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
soon as I hit "send" I knew Loki was peering over my shoulder....
A steady 2200 rpm is about 80 in 6th in my FR. I do try to drive for 15 minutes in 4th at about 2500 when it's warm every week or so, and it's nice having the surge of power to pass something slower.
Which, sometimes, is everything.
It's the red mist again....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.