PD150 no power...

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
Can anyone help?

Driving onto the dual carriage way after work, accelerated to 80 and then i heard or felt a tiny thump and had no power at all.

Car would rev right round if I dumped the clutch but wouldnt gain any speed after 80.

Had no turbo power at all. Got to my destination and had a look at the boost pipes and couldnt see anything but it was dark.

I pulled out of the road and still had no turbo power at all...

Any ideas?

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
From what I noticed, car didnt go into limp mode as I had the full rev range just no turbo... I will have a look when its light tomorrow. Thanks mate.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Its limp mode. 99% of the time these days its due to overboost caused by a partially seized VNT

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
Is a seized VNT easy to sort out? I've heard about the whole veins sticking thing but didn't really know what it was all about and how to resolve it. Is the VNT the thing at the back of the engine at the top?

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
turbo

do the mr muscle turbo clean
ive been doing this for years and have good success rates
remember to operate the actuator arm to make sure its got full free movement

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
The VNT and it's mechanism are inside the hotside of the turbo.

Mr. Muscle is a pikey way of relieving the symptoms temporarily but it is not a proper or decent fix, as it only reaches the turbine and tips of the nozzles, and does not reach or thoroughly clean the ring gear which is the part that siezes.

If you want it fixed properly, the turbo needs removing from the car, and the hotside stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. Ideally you would do this before the overboost causes damage to the CHRA and the entire thing needs rebuilding/replacing

But before you consider any of this, you need it diagnosed properly to be 100% it is the problem. Not just codes read either, logs with VCDS will tell you 100% what the issue is

Last edited:

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
Saw the problem staring me in the face as soon as I lifted the bonnet. Boost pipe come loose, fitted back on but think the c clip is knackered.

Is there a different type of pipe and/or clip I can put on as the c clips are crap and keep failing.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Where was the loose clip? If it's on the egr side then an EGR delete would solve the problem and stop the intake from clogging up. If it was the plastic end go to your nearest vw dealer and ask for the correct c-clip and o-ring (dont have part numbers I'm afraid) and then put a jubilee clip around the c-clip once it's all refitted. Also, check the little "shoulders" on the boost pipe where it's come loose as if these are worn then you'll need a new pipe before replacing any of the clips.

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
I just had the limp mode problem again. however it wasn't the same pipe as before, in fact I don't know which one it is... Had a quick look but being at work I couldn't really see anything. I cant get under it to have a look which isn't ideal.

Ive got a second hand intercooler and pipework to go on as mine is pretty knackered. But these recent days have been horrendous weather to try and do anything to the car let alone taking the bumper off and stuff.

Really think its gonna have to be a garage job and get someone to do it. I'm handy with a spanner but I've seen and heard its probably a lot easier as a 2 man job.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise