Oil Level Light Randomly Came On LCR225

Ash-Kennard

why are you reading this?
Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
It could be something as simple as a faulty oil level sender on the sump or a dodgy connection. J
I assume the oil pressure warning has a separate light?

Link

Doesn't seem there is a separate light for oil pressure. Oil pressure can be increased by increasing revs yes? Seems unlikely as I was going some when the warnings have appeared.

Alexis27, I forgot to mention codes were reset in November when I bought the car by a mate who had a diagnostics kit, so everything I see now is from my ownership. Unless the fault codes are reoccurring ones.

I'll keep posting information in here and see if I can solve it.

Cheers, Ash

Last edited:

scott180

Aug 13, 2014
portsmouth
Oil light has multiple uses. Level and pressure. Lights up red or flashes red for low pressure. Lights up yellow for low level and flashes yellow for defective oil level indicator.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Oh right I didn't know it flashed different colours for pressure and low oil level.
I just wondered if the oil pressure sender was playing up it might put the light on but as its a different colour light it won't be that.

scott180

Aug 13, 2014
portsmouth
I only know that because I had the low level light came up and checked it in the owners manual and gave me that list of light uses.

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Right, The light came on again today about 70 miles after I erased all the codes. Parked up, checked for codes, nothing, totally clean. Oil is still at a reasonable level too.

Came on on a normal road this time, not bumpy, not fast. Bizarre.

Do we think it may be a sensor issue?

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Just to let you know, the bonnet catch has a microswitch that tells the car the bonnet has been opened and is closed. It's been known for these to fail. When you get low oil level and you get the warning light come up on the dash you would top it up and the light should turn off however if the switch in the bonnet catch has failed the car doesn't know the bonnet has been opened and oil level topped up so the light stays on no matter what you do. Try disconnecting the battery

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
How? The warning light means low oil level or faulty oil level sensor.

Yellow oil light is low oil or faulty sensor
Red oil light is low oil pressure

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Just to let you know, the bonnet catch has a microswitch that tells the car the bonnet has been opened and is closed. It's been known for these to fail. When you get low oil level and you get the warning light come up on the dash you would top it up and the light should turn off however if the switch in the bonnet catch has failed the car doesn't know the bonnet has been opened and oil level topped up so the light stays on no matter what you do. Try disconnecting the battery

Hi Brad, cheers for the information. However, my drive to work today started the engine and the light came on from yesterdays drive. when I arrived I opened the bonnet, as soon as I pulled the lever to release the catch the light went off, so I guess that sensor is working haha.

Had a nice gentle drive back today in the ice and no light came up so I think it has to be wire/sensor related because of the bumpiness of my route.

Heading to a mates house at the weekend as I don't have a garage or any jack other than the lairy scissor jack in the boot. Whereas he has a concrete platform with a pit that will soon be a garage.

I will update with progress at the weekend.

Cheers, Ash

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.