FR184 with DTUK - comparison

lozzer

Feb 3, 2015
Hi,

I have a 2014 Leon FR184. I think it is an amazing car and handles amazingly but I raced a 2014 Golf GTI and a Focus ST and they left me for dead....wasn't impressed!!!!!

Because of this I decided to buy the DTUK stage 2 CRD-T which apparently gives 240bhp and 500NM. Has anyone with this system compared it to any quicker cars like the focus ST or Golf GTI?? Any ideas on whether I will be able to keep up???

Cheers

Laurence

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Hi,

I have a 2014 Leon FR184. I think it is an amazing car and handles amazingly but I raced a 2014 Golf GTI and a Focus ST and they left me for dead....wasn't impressed!!!!!

Straight line was it?

The gearing and the way it revs will always be your downfall in a tdi.

I remember getting my old FR to stage 2, thought it was the bomb obviously, but then I met a brand spanking mk6 gti on the m1, it soon showed me I was delusional and it shouldve had 20bhp less than me :(

So, yes with a remap or box the difference will be less, but straight line, result will be the same im afraid. Still well worth it tho :D

lozzer

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks mate. I fitted it today and did a little timed run in comparison and was very impressed. I have to have a diesel for work but this was definitely an excellent choice. I am quite confident that I wont be left as far behind as before!!!

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
With one of these fitted has anyone's insurance rocketed or only gone up a bit. I am interested in getting one for my 184 fr but not at the expense of a hefty insurance premium increase.

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
That's why I'm in two minds about getting one. If the premium went up say £50 no issues £100 plus then no way.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Call me sensible or call me stupid, but there is no way I would take a chance. The stakes are simply of high when it comes to driving uninsured - because that is what it would be.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
Call me sensible or call me stupid, but there is no way I would take a chance. The stakes are simply of high when it comes to driving uninsured - because that is what it would be.

That's your way & I respect it. However, I think it's worth the risk albeit very small.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
If you can afford to replace the car if it's written off then go for it lol.

On my Mk2 FR+ CR170 I waited until the insurance was due for renewal, got the standard price down with my insurer (by using comparison sites). I then called back to say how extra would it be for a Stage 1 Remap (Revo), and the price was lower than the original quote for no mods! :)

Regarding performance comparisons of other cars I can now keep up with a 2006 Focus ST 2.5 (to 70ish) which ends up in front of me some mornings. He always used to leave me before. I bet he thinks there is something wrong with his car now lol.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
:lol:
If you can afford to replace the car if it's written off then go for it lol.

On my Mk2 FR+ CR170 I waited until the insurance was due for renewal, got the standard price down with my insurer (by using comparison sites). I then called back to say how extra would it be for a Stage 1 Remap (Revo), and the price was lower than the original quote for no mods! :)

Regarding performance comparisons of other cars I can now keep up with a 2006 Focus ST 2.5 (to 70ish) which ends up in front of me some mornings. He always used to leave me before. I bet he thinks they are something wrong with his car now lol.

That's good:rofl:

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Never thought of just using the comparison websites. My Insurance isn't up until June and trying to change it now would cost extra. However for a laugh I'm going to put all my details in again and declare it to see what it comes too. Will let you all know soon!

madog

AKA Victor Meldrew
Oct 21, 2002
Brighton
Visit site
I recently fitted this tuning box
http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and...win_channel_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P6433.html

My insurance company, Allianz wouldn't insure me for it, so I cancelled policy and got insured with Adrian Flux. Premium not bad, but excess went up. It is not worth the risk of not telling them as, if you are invovled in a serious accident, your car will be examined and your insurance will be null and void.
You will then be prosecuted with a maximum fine of £5,000 and possible disqualification.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Not to mention if you injured or killed someone else.
NOT worth the risk at all for the sakes of a few extra quid.

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
So the results are in. Basically not changing my excess, no claims protection, mileage etc but declaring a tuning box put the cost of my yearly premium up by £195. So £195 plus the cost of the the box, the extra wear and tear, not convinced it's worth it. Then again if I don't tell the wife...

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
What £ 16 a month really tho. Out of interest did you ask if it was cheaper to have a remap, you never know with some insurers and how their minds work :)

phibbs2014

May 21, 2014
Paying monthly would put an extra £40 on top of the £195. All done by those comparison websites and then verified going through online again onto the cheapest provider.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise