Arran's TDi FR

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
So been off the scene the last wee while and a serious lack of funds for doing anything to the car :cry: but ive been working away slowly at a few things and are still a bit of a work in progress but here is some pictures of a few things to come...

decided I wanted a 12v outlet in the boot, never needed to use it and probably never will but its still cool

and im working away trying to get some subtle interior lighting on the go, that's a little different from the W8 Passat ambient lighting

last but not least, It really bugs me that the Ibiza doesn't come with courtesy door lights when they are open, just a little reflector...so a golf generously donated them but are yet to be wired in :whistle:

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Little update:

Desperately needed my bushes changed as the noise and rattling was unbearable!
Bought Cupra bushes for the wishbone rears and powerflex poly bushes for the front. I took the car to a garage to replace them as they were changing both CV boots and they said they couldn't get the front bolt out and they would snap :shrug:
They quoted £70 a side since I supplied the bushes but then an additional £140 a side as the bolt would snap inside the alloy subframe and would need replacing!

Anyway I turned down the kind offer from the garage and the old man helped to replace them on the drive. And surprise surprise the bolts came out with very little effort :rofl:

I painted the wishbone to tidy it up a bit and it looks alright now!

I followed the guide on the forum for changing the bushes and had a puller made up which worked a treat

I then painted the brake dust shields to tidy them up aswell

Have to say the bushes make a world of difference. So much more confidence in the corners and especially with my freebie Pilot Sport 3 Michelins :p
Although I have noticed more vibration but that's to be expected...

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Subtle, but great work!

Always satisfying doing work yourself ;)

Yeah and saved myself a few pennies aswell :) Good feeling getting stuck in about it, still learning though!

Looked through your readers ride a lot and taken a few ideas of yours for future projects. Some great things you've managed to get out your ibiza mate. Might be in touch if I need some advice ;)

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
After reading a lot about EGR deleting and mapping out/reducing function I took it apart to clean out, gives me something to do while I decide which path I want to take.

As you can see it was pretty clogged up with crap...

I took a screwdriver to it as I didn't have a lot of de greasing products available, and it worked pretty well

The amount of crap that came out was unbelievable! These blue sheets are about A4 in size each....

And the end result was a clean EGR :D must have opened the hole diameter a good 10mm!

Last edited:

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Cleaning the egr was an effort to get a good air flow for my next wee plan, which sadly didn't go as I had hoped:cry:
Took the car for a remap and the guy was fantastic, really knows his stuff and estimated a custom map to between 170-180bhp with just under 300lb/ft torque!
He put the car on the rolling road and the wee ibiza was already sitting at 138bhp stock.
After a few runs this was the results :(

The car was overheating at over 100'C at full power, which topped out at 164bhp....gutting!
After we packed up and was returning home it dawned on me....that bloody Cupra bumper doesn't allow air flow to my side mount intercooler!!! (Take note people, good for looks, bad for power gains!)

I phoned the mapper up and he said that if I get a front mount I should easily see nearer 180bhp without puting the car back on the rolling road, so at least I got my money's worth with the potential power available, just need to squeeze it all out!

I went on to remove my fog light which exposes the side mount cooler perfectly now, and can honestly say it doesn't lose power the harder I run the car, so must be working at keeping those air temps down, so I'm hoping it is sitting at about 170+Bhp as it stands now.

8arran8

Oct 10, 2012
Dundee
Update at last!
As a few might know I had overheating issues after the remap, the side mount cooler just wasn't up to scratch. So I bought an Airtec front mount and it looks amazing. Also brought the temp down to 26'C at redline when booting the car through the gears :D

The night started to creep in as I was fitting so the last picture is dull, very impressed with fitting and the quality of the package! Only thing that I fault is that the hard pipes are only about 1.5" diameter which seems like a decrease from the original pipe diameters. Not sure this will make a difference though:shrug:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members