Guess that noise.......tada

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
So for about two months my car has been making a clunking sound, every time the car goes over a bump or pot hole.

It's bang/solid clunk sound from the rear.
Happens when the left rear goes over a bump or pothole.

I will eventually give it to seat to diagnose but until then, what do you guess it is.

Winner gets ..... Something when it's diagnosed and fixed.

It's on coilovers, but didn't make this sound when I fitted them originaly

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
My guess is rear anti roll bar bush or rear drop link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
pretty sure its not the exhaust. ive had it up on ramps so many times checking. ive tried moving it around loads to see if its close to any thing and it isn't.

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
its hard to tell what noise exactly.

first i did think it was the exhaust like a metal on the bumper, but like i said when im under the car i car move the exhaust loads in each direction without catching anything.

even if i'm driving slow it will happen on pot hole. so it doesn't take much movement to make it happen.

ive tried opening the boot, sitting in it and jumping like a monkey and i cant replicate the sound.

still cant afford to get it doiagnosed. and i want to sell it but cant sell it with a problem

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
yeah on joms, as far as they can go but the drop links were fine when they were first put on.

awesome gti fitted them

going to walk the dog so i'm going to sit in the back and see if i can hear where its coming from.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Nsr door, seat back not latched properly or loose ?

Last edited:

Kyado

Jan 13, 2015
I had a similar issue the other day; was concerned about a knocking noise every time I pulled off in first. Turns out it was just the locking wheel nut key rolling around on the spare tyre. Check that!

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
so ive just been sat in the boot (dont try this at home) while we drove the beach.

its definitely under the car to the passengers side.

the only thing i can do is change parts until it disappears. starting with the strut and the top mount.

i could possibly part ex the car but i get more on a private sale.

can i standard shock be used in place of the jom strut?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
right i've found out the reason its making a noise and its at the garage, collecting tomorrow when its done.

no one has guessed right yet.

so, as i'm selling the car not long after i have a brand new boost gauge that i never fitted.

i will give this to the winner who guesses correctly.

one guess per post. one guess per day, if a few people get it right i'll raffle style pick the name out of a hat. i'll run it a few days.

lol. ive had a few bevvies but its a bit of fun too

fits directly into either side air vent

Last edited:

Jake_FR

Mar 14, 2013
I believe I may have the same problem, I have a noise coming from the rear passenger side i think (hard to tell when I'm driving) when I go over a bump or rough bit of road. Mine is lowered on JOM coilovers, Im going to have a good look later to try and guess what it is, my first thought was a plastic trim come loose either in the arch or the exhaust knocking.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members