loss of power on 1.9tdi

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
i am having loss of power due to turbo not kicking in when supposed to i have checked for air leaks replaced n75 valve maf and put new filter my mechanic says the turbo is working and it turns freely but he thinks it might be waste gate now anyone else have any ideas it could be thanks

Claki

Apr 3, 2012
Horsham, West Sussex
It could be sticky veins? ive just given mine the Mr. Muscle treatment after it kept going into limp mode. It now pulls harder and spools mildly faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
had diagnostics done no fault code replaced n75 and maf with original parts u can here the turbo kick in sometimes but not very often machanic said turbo is fine move freely he said it might be waste gate?
i changed fuel filter 5k miles ago could it be that i keep reading it could be

Claki

Apr 3, 2012
Horsham, West Sussex
Try cleaning it mate. Thats probably the cheapest and most effective method. If that doesnt work try the actuator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I'd agree with Claki, seecifvthe actuator moves smoothly, should feel a bit firm but smooth rather than sticky/crunchy. There is no wastegate, it's variable veins on these turbos.

Otherwise check all your boost pipes and their connections and see if you can smell any exhaust fumes under the bonnet at idle.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
The AGR engine code (first three digits of the engine number on your logbook), has a waste gate. All of the rest are variable vane turbines with the blade pitch changed to control turbo speed and output.

Check ALL of the vacuum hoses for splits before doing anything else. Fuel filter should be replaced, as should the air filter.

If that doesn't sort it, log the MAF airflow figures on VCDS and go from there. If it's a non-pd engine, AGR, AHF or ASV engine codes, your fuel pump mechanical timing could be off. This needs to be set using VCDS to show where the injection advance is.

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
changed the fuel filter a little better but still not right . all is left to do now is mayb the waste gate i have replaced everything else now with new bosch parts anything else i could try before i take back to garage ?

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
As a few mention above, have you checked your actuator or actuator rod mate?

My turbo had a so called "seized waste gate", as the guys have said here the turbo doesn't have a waste gate it's variable vane, unless yours is how Cupra Ross has said! :)

I ended up getting a new turbo on mine because it failed MOT and the power was just horrific when I lost it... Though that's the costly side to it! :)

Here's an image to look at
turbo.jpg
, when I had my turbo checked out, my vnt rod only moved ever so slightly, it should be smooth and firm as dgjdrummer pointed out!

You mentioned having diagnostics done but no errors came up? What was used if you don't mind me asking? Did you use VAGCOM / VCDS? If not I'd highly recommend using those to get it checked out! I tried Torque Pro with Elm327 and no error to do with my turbo came up, the first error I got with VCDS was to do with my turbo I'll edit the post when I get the log from my laptop which isn't with me right now! :O

Hopefully we can pin point the root cause of your power loss but please try not to vent off at anyone for not replying within a day or so, everyone who helps here does so in their own free time and no one is getting paid for it, patience is a virtue and everyone at some point gets the help they need! :)

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Any time mate, I'm glad to be back on the forums haha! I've missed not being on here the past few weeks!

Let us all know what goes on and what your mechanic says, can you get a good look under your bonnet at the turbo or not? If not it isn't a problem! :)

--Lee

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
no i can not get a look at it its booked in for thursday and lets hope it gets sorted is there any liquids that can help or clean the turbo and veins on these that actually work

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
its a 2002 seat alhambra tdi.
i no this is posted on wrong car page but more people viewing here than alhambra page lol

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
OK, so it's a PD engine. No need to worry about fuel injection pump timing.

When the MAF sensor was replaced, was it definitely replaced with a brand new genuine Bosch MAF sensor?

It really needs to go on VCDS for logging, not the generic diagnostic systems that back-street garages have. From the sounds of it, the garage you've been using haven't made much progress. I'd question whether or not it's wise to use them again. Post a request on the forum for somebody local to you to do some VCDS logging for you. It's the sure fire way to stop throwing good money after bad.

Last edited:

Reidy99

Nov 18, 2013
Suffolk
yes the maf was replaced by me its 100% bosch ,
the car is coming up with no fault codes on the reader they gonna check the wastegate on thursday clean if necessarily it only gonna be about an hours work so let them check if no joy then look somewhere else and thank u

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members