Where is my oil filter

Robbinz

Feb 7, 2015
Edinburgh
Hi,

Im by no ways a gear head. I have emptied the old oil. Im struggling however to locate the oil filter.

I have a Leon Cupra Mk2. Some people say its on the top. Others are saying its under the engine cover on the bottom.

Any help??

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Inside a black plastic housing in front of the sump, looks like this:
OilFilter.jpg

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Worth noting, the housing holds a fair bit of oil so have something underneath when you take it off.

Also be careful as it's pretty easy to damage the casing when removing it, you need a 36mm shallow socket.

Robbinz

Feb 7, 2015
Edinburgh
Thanks guys. A passing mate in the workshop confirmed it to me. Holy S*£T it does not want to come off though. Any advice as I seem to be rounding it off with a ring spanner. (Other than a 36 socket as we don't have one).

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
They are tight, they aren't supposed to be fitted particularly tight but always seem to be a pain to remove again.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Make sure you are using a proper hexagonal socket (not one of those splined type ones that you can put on in any position). Then use a 2-foot breaker bar. This will enable you to get good constant pressure on the nut with a large amount of leverage. This normally does the trick with stubborn bolts and nuts (or housing in this case) that don't seem to want to budge without the risk of doing any damage.

Also, stupid question but it has to be asked. You are trying to turn it the right way aren't you? It needs to be turned anti-clockwise.

Last edited:

Robbinz

Feb 7, 2015
Edinburgh
Yea im turning it the right way :D

I was guessing if it was reverse threaded someone would have mentioned.

Nah I think it might have got rounded with the ring spanner. Never realized we hada 36 socket. Now if only I had a 35.

Its getting to the point where I might just do the oil get another housing and get the garage to deal with it the next service.

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Yea im turning it the right way :D

I was guessing if it was reverse threaded someone would have mentioned.

Nah I think it might have got rounded with the ring spanner. Never realized we hada 36 socket. Now if only I had a 35.

Its getting to the point where I might just do the oil get another housing and get the garage to deal with it the next service.

For future references, i have done hundreds of these types of filters over the years where apprentices and such cant get it off.

Its pretty easy, but requires 2 people.

Get one of these;
oil_filter_wrench.jpg

Put that on the filter (put it on so you take it off) and the other person put on the 36mm socket with a small breaker par (a normal ratchet is also perfectly fine) and the person with the 36mm socket starts to try to undo it (to the point where you are using force to undo it, a gentle approch is needed here) then the person with the oil filter tool goes to undo it, the filter will pop straight off at this point. I don´t know why it works, but it works 100% every time.

The next time you install the filter housing, put a good amount of oil on the o-ring and screw it in, so the housing is flush with the oil filter bracket, and just a tiny amount more (we are talking 5-10 degress more) its all that is needed.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
I had the same problem on my cupra, anyways after about half hour of swearing and getting fed up with a sump in my face I got my hump, used a pair of grips and brute force , left a few marks but done the job. I wouldn't advise this though as I have heard of occasions where they crack.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
25.5 N/M is not very tight. Time and time again an enthusiast pays dearly for the monkey that worked on it before him. Make sure the engine is warmish (not piping hot) so as to warm the plastic a little and it will undo more readily. Refix it with a torque wrench and possibly new o ring on the seal.

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
25.5 N/M is not very tight. Time and time again an enthusiast pays dearly for the monkey that worked on it before him. Make sure the engine is warmish (not piping hot) so as to warm the plastic a little and it will undo more readily. Refix it with a torque wrench and possibly new o ring on the seal.

No it isn't very tight, but they have a tendency to get stuck even when they are refitted with a torque wrench. The filter should come supplied with a new O-ring.