Which Transmission Oil?

Dr_Ming

Jan 25, 2005
I have an MY03 Leon Cupra. What is the recommended type/grade of transmission oil for the 6-speed box? It's not mentioned anwhere in the handbook.

The reason for the question: I changed the factory gear oil for 75W/90 semi-synthetic oil to try to inprove the rather notchy 1st to 2nd shift (especially bad when cold). The new oil has made the problem much, much worse when cold (although better when hot), so I want to change it back. Problem is, I don't know what was in there to start with.

prc

Sooty Meister
I'm pretty sure it's a VAG spec oil, so you won't be able to pic it up outside your local VAG garage. I've not used anything except the OE oil, but have heard some good things regarding amzoil and redline. Have you checked it the cables Adjustment? Could be the source of your notchy feeling.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
yep bill recommended i used the VAG stuff when i refilled mine , make sure u specify 6spd tranny wheh ordering it , different stuff to the 5speeder

Dr_Ming

Jan 25, 2005
The VAG oil can't be that special...

I was resisting buying oil from the stealer because it will undoubtedly cost an arm and a leg.

The cables are ok I think, as thay have been adjusted and re-checked by the dealer. In fact the gearbox was replaced earlier this year because I kept taking the car back and complaining about the 1st > 2nd shift - the new one is no better than the old (in fact, it's worse, since the Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 oil went in).

The notchy 1st > 2nd shift seems to be an inherent issue with the VAG 6-speed box, I have (since having my gearbox replaced) driven a couple of other cars with the same box, and they were all pretty bad. My own experience (of 5 VAG cars) would indicate that VAG are just rubbish at gearbox/synchromesh design (or rather their chosen suppliers are).

However, I still can't believe that no one (including Seat's so called customer care line) can tell me what spec. the oil is supposed to be...:shrug:

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I changed my gearbox oil last year and use the vw spec oil, my gearchange is lovely now no notchyness or crunching.

I would say the complete opposite to what you said and say that vag make good gearboxes and my LCR gearchange is lovely and smooth compared to my old renault i had.

I have found that 9 times out of ten people just need to change the oil in there gearbox to get rid of there problems or at least top it up.

i will find the bottle today in the garage and get back to you with the part number for the oil. Off the top of my hand i think its VWG52 or somthing like that.

millsyscossie

Oct 29, 2006
Bonnie Scotland
Can make a huge difference changing the box oil in your car.

I did the diffs and box oil in my saph cossie for something to do basically, and could feel the difference after :happy:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
2.6litres but depends on trans code for listed fluid according to the tech list

DRP / FMP / FHA / FHT / FEK / FEL / FGT / FGV / FZM / FZP / FMQ / EFF / ERF / FMH

Gear synthetic oil API GL4 SAE 75W in accordance with standard TL 521 71 (Spare no. G 052 171 A2)

DRV / EFY / EUK

Gear oil API GL4 SAE 75W 90 in accordance with standard TL 521 57 (high performance synthetic oil)

those are general 6sp 2003 so if your code isn't listed above let me know and ill check for it, also have all the final drive + in gear ratios now if needed too

Last edited:

Zuhnu99

Jan 9, 2009
Finland
I'm used Castrol TAF-X, Mobil VS200 and G 052 171 A2 in my -05 FR Leon. That G 052 171 A2 is the best choice from those oils. 1 to 2 change is smoother with this VW-oil. Especially in cold mornings.

rickyb90

Speedbump destroyer!
Mar 21, 2009
NW Kent
Do I need 3 litres of VW G 052 171 A2 gear oil to do a complete change?

Do VW sell it as individual 1L bottles and how much roughly is it?

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Was this for VW G052 171 A2 ???? that's a lot less than I've just been quoted from local VW. You don't know who makes the VW stuff do you ? Don't suppose the bottle mentions the Viscosity ? (Having said that I'm guessing where you are you do not have many cold days effecting 1>2 Gear shifting ?)

Paul

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.