fuming

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
So as some may remember I was hit by a foreign vehicle in August last year which was not my fault. As the vehicle was registered in Sweden I had to go through my insurance but didn't make a formal claim, I just wanted to be reimbursed for the repairs which I paid for myself at The cost of £400. So 7 months later the claim hasn't been resolved and my insurance is due for renewal, which elephant have decided to increase to £1200, double my insurance of last year, for a repair that's worth £400, as they removed my no claims bonus until the claim was settled. So I've now had to close the claim in order to get my no claims bonus back, but as I've been involved in an accident my fees have now gone up even more although I wasn't at fault. It's an absolute ****ing joke!

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Feel your pain Josh that is fecking stupid I hate it when insurers try to screw people into the ground.

I'm with Chris's Knotts and can recommend them,might be worth giving them a call. Either way I'd move company's just not to give your current insurer anymore of you money.

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I renewed it with them today for £696.00, which is more than I paid last year, I would have been better off not even declaring the accident as I've been screwed for being honest.

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I've been penalised basically because elephant can't pick up a telephone in 7 months to resolve a case which was blatantly the other drivers fault. I feel like complaining to watchdog or something as I've been truly mugged off big time

Deleted member 94519

I would. And name and shame on every social media going - it's amazing how people will change their tunes when they realise everybody's listening.

Deleted member 94519

Doesn't always work and sometimes not worth the effort, but I've managed to get about £6000 worth of compensation in the last 10 years or so, highlights being incl a free top-spec laptop from Dell, a total write-off payout on my motorcycle insurance and about £250 in compensation from a spectacularly incompetent letting agent by shouting loudly (online).

Very satisfying when it does works. Sounds like this is a case where it'd be worth a go!

t121anf

May 14, 2004
What is your solicitor / legal team doing? Why are you waiting for an insurance company get legal to sort it.

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
The insurance companies claim team have been working on this since the 14th of August 2014, the other car involved in the incident didn't even declare to his insurance that he'd be involved in an accident so I had to provide all evidence including police report and pictures etc which they've had for months as his insurance denied him even being there.. I've been absolutely robbed because of their inefficiency. I'm a Claims surveyor by trade so this is just absolutely ridiculous that it has taken 7 months to resolve, which I could have resolved myself in a couple of days.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
That really sucks. I have heard that it's somewhat typical as well that your insurance will increase even when it's NOT your fault. You're penalised for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's pathetic.
An article that mentions insurance can increase by 30% for a no fault claim and up to 50% for 2 non fault claims: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/apr/16/no-fault-claims-car-insurance-aa

"Insurers say the reason premiums rise is that statistical evidence shows that drivers involved in an accident, whether or not they are directly at fault, are more likely to be involved in another accident later on."

Ohhh reallllly.............

Last edited:

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Im in the same boat as well except it was my work van the other driver drove into. But im still supposed to declare it although its not my fault and on company insurance.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Should have stuck it out and left the claim open. Any increase of premium would be reimbursed to you once you finally got it sorted. I had a claim open for over 2 years in the UK due to some little scrote blaming me for him driving in to the back of me, and then disappearing off the face of the earth.

I think i had over £600 back for the extra premium i paid for the NCB i couldn't use while the claim was open, along with my car being repaired obviously

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Unfortunately mate I couldn't afford the extra £500 this month to keep the claim open, I'm gonna send them a very shitty letter and go to watchdog about it as it's not acceptable at all. It pisses me off that these foreign drivers can just venture over here have an accident and get off Scott free, it makes a mockery of our insurance system and is clearly a major issue for us insurance paying brits. They should have to get insurance from English companies to drive on the roads here!

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Insurance is made up numbers IMO. 2 years ago wife was at the mother in laws and her neighbour reversed out of his drive straight into the rear quarter of a 2 week old car. Neighbour knows the family and knocked on and apologised, went through his own insurance and we never contacted ours. Fast forward a year and renewal time arrives.
Has the vehicle been involved in a own fault/non fault accident in the last 5 years...honest answer is yes. Despite not even being in the car at time of incident and not going through own insurance, premium increased by £90! How the f@ck does that work then?
Telling you, made up numbers.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Unfortunately mate I couldn't afford the extra £500 this month to keep the claim open, I'm gonna send them a very shitty letter and go to watchdog about it as it's not acceptable at all. It pisses me off that these foreign drivers can just venture over here have an accident and get off Scott free, it makes a mockery of our insurance system and is clearly a major issue for us insurance paying brits. They should have to get insurance from English companies to drive on the roads here!

Monthly payments not an option? Thats the route i went down - stuck it out with the same insurer but with monthly payments, and once settled had to claim (read fight!) to get my premiums back.

Unfortunately our entire insurance system is a joke. My premium has been higher every year since as i still have to declare it to insurers, even though it was found to not be my fault (i was stationairy queuing to enter a roundabout at the bottom of an M4 offf ramp). Any incident, regardless of circumstance or fault, means you are a higher risk, apparently...) [:@]

Smurfy

Jun 3, 2009
Stoke - on - Trent
Unfortunately 7 months isnt a long time in this case, with it being a foreign vehicle, you have to go through an intermediary for there insurers based in the UK, the third party insurers get up to 6 months to reply, and then you have the issue of them disputing, and then depending on what the circumstances are, wether they can claim 50/50 or not, if there is a dispute with a UK driver it can take months to sort out, so with it being a foreign insurer then it would have been a long wait.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Insurance is made up numbers IMO. 2 years ago wife was at the mother in laws and her neighbour reversed out of his drive straight into the rear quarter of a 2 week old car. Neighbour knows the family and knocked on and apologised, went through his own insurance and we never contacted ours. Fast forward a year and renewal time arrives.
Has the vehicle been involved in a own fault/non fault accident in the last 5 years...honest answer is yes. Despite not even being in the car at time of incident and not going through own insurance, premium increased by £90! How the f@ck does that work then?
Telling you, made up numbers.
Had similar experience. Guy rear ended me on M1 near Mansfield, traffic slowed then stopped in lane 3, I stopped he didn't. ( I was in work Citroen C5, he was in an Astra iirc) pulled onto hard shoulder, he admitted it was his fault, minimal damage to mine (bumper as it turned out) bumper bonnet & grille on his. Direct line (his insurers) dealt with it all, quickly and efficiently tbh , car was repaired within 3 weeks (was still driveable) no involvement with company insurance whatsoever. Come renewal for the Leon, yup, premium goes up by £100 because of 'my' bump :censored: