1 or 2 Oil Gauges?

Mike20vT

Boost it or lose it!!
Mar 16, 2014
South Wales
Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying an Oil temperature gauge and/or an Oil pressure gauge.......do I really need both or is it best to stick to the one?

I have an LC180

Thanks, Mike :)

tchallenger

Feb 20, 2014
You'd need a sandwhich plate on the between the cooler and filter but yes you can have both. Personal preference is oil temp but pressure can be useful as well with the 1.8t ability to starv its self

Mike20vT

Boost it or lose it!!
Mar 16, 2014
South Wales
You'd need a sandwhich plate on the between the cooler and filter but yes you can have both. Personal preference is oil temp but pressure can be useful as well with the 1.8t ability to starv its self

Where can I buy a sandwich plate from and is it easy to fit?

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
If you can change oil, you can fit the sandwich plate. Just unscrew the oil filter, fit sandwich plate (1 bolt on the screw thread of the filter) and fit the oil filter on top.

Fit the sensor(s) before you fit the plate obviously

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland

You dont need a sandwitch plate if you are just installing one as there is a 1/8 NPT screw in the oil filter housing just remove and insert oil pressure or temp sender into that job done.

I have a oil pressure and as stated can be usefull as oil pick up sometime gets blocked creating low oil pressure and you dont really want to drive it if that happens.

Pressure is more usefull than oil temp imo , plus you could still get a sandwitch plate for a oil cooler if necessary.

Your call .

Ideally you'd want both but (in my opinion)

Oil temp gives a much better indicator of when you're engine is at proper operating temperature (unlike the coolant temp gauge) as the oil takes a lot longer to warm up and conversely when you've been running the engine hard you'll see the oil temperature going up, you don't want to exceed ~115/120DegC mark for too long because the oil can break down and be less effective. It also gives you a built in "turbo timer" because you'll know after a hard run when the oil has cooled back down to "ordinary" temps before turning off the engine. It gives more helpful measures for day to day running of a car.

Oil Pressure also gives a good indicator to when the oil has reached operating temp because the pressure will drop as the oil warms up. But then really it just sits at the same reading day by day until you have a pretty major ****ing problem and the pressure drops because you've either dropped the oil out the engine or you've cooked the oil (which you could prevent if you had an eye on oil temps). The pressure will increase if you get debris blocking a journal for instance (!) Very handy... but then it will be a marginal consistent pressure increase, which you might not notice anyway until it causes a major problem.

They kinda do the same but different... I'd go with Oil Temp personally.

Reactions: nd-photo.nl
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.