tyre question

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Those of you with LCR's or leons pushing high BHP through the front wheels what tyres do you recommend.currently running 225/40/18 on the front and 245/40/18 on the back due to rear alloys being 9j.the current tyres are accelera PHI and the are pretty cack to be fair im getting wheelspin in 3rd on boost so i would like to change them

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Not an LCR expert, I'm more into diesels, but you have a high-spec premium sports hatchback, so I guess you realise that you need to fit it with good tyres, or all the money you spend on improving performance is wasted coz the tyres can't put it down on the road.

Those four contact patches are the most critical factor in the way your car behaves. For myself, I go for good grip in general, good wet grip (which means good performance when cold plus good water-clearing capabilities) and reasonable life, with road noise lowest on the list. I'm sure there will be a few people along soon who have LCR's and will tell you their tyre choices, but always keep in mind your own personal set of requirements for tyre life, wet and dry grip and road noise - the balance of these factors will decide what you should go for. Oh, and cost, but that should be low on the list, unless you just want to cruise... :)

Last edited:

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Not an LCR expert, I'm more into diesels, but you have a high-spec premium sports hatchback, so I guess you realise that you need to fit it with good tyres, or all the money you spend on improving performance is wasted coz the tyres can't put it down on the road.

Those four contact patches are the most critical factor in the way your car behaves. For myself, I go for good grip in general, good wet grip (which means good performance when cold plus good water-clearing capabilities) and reasonable life, with road noise lowest on the list. I'm sure there will be a few people along soon who have LCR's and will tell you their tyre choices, but always keep in mind your own personal set of requirements for tyre life, wet and dry grip and road noise - the balance of these factors will decide what you should go for. Oh, and cost, but that should be low on the list, unless you just want to cruise... :)

well i carry my wife and daughter in the car so i want the best i can afford really not some ditchfinder 3000s.i am looking at goodyear efficentgrip performance plus which are 100 quid each and have really good fuel and wet weather ratings on them and are really quiet.just wondered what other people had really.definatley not into just cruising as i am in my 30s now lol

Bert

Tom AKA Bert
Mar 3, 2015
Rochester, Kent
This is where I can help, being a tyre fitter for 14 years!!! Michelin, the best, grip is phenomenal, but the most expensive! If you want the best grip, go for Yokohama, but be warned, such a soft compound will wear quicker! goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2 are a very good all round tyre! Avoid budgets, but if your budget isnt loads, try a tyre called Maxxis! (They run they're own tyres in the maxxis drift championship) hope this helps

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
This is where I can help, being a tyre fitter for 14 years!!! Michelin, the best, grip is phenomenal, but the most expensive! If you want the best grip, go for Yokohama, but be warned, such a soft compound will wear quicker! goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2 are a very good all round tyre! Avoid budgets, but if your budget isnt loads, try a tyre called Maxxis! (They run they're own tyres in the maxxis drift championship) hope this helps

yeh i have been looking the the goodyear eagle assymetric 2's they are about 110 each i think and they are quality tyres.no way would i go near a budget tyre on an LCR its just not worth it.thanks for the help man

mesh

Mar 4, 2015
SCQ Spain
I have gone through a range of tyre makes, all in 225/45 R17 throughout my years with my 1.9TDi 150 in the following order:

Bridgestone Potenza RE002 (Twice)
Dunlop Sport 9000
Falken ZE914 (Twice)
Goodyear Eagle F1 (Current)

I usually change all 4 tyres at the same time as I swap them over on the car periodically.

The worst by far were the Dunlop. I felt they made too much noise in movement and for me grip didn't feel all that great.

The best for me are the Goodyear and I have had them for about 15k Km and they are not half used. Good in wet and excellent in dry.

Second place I would have to place the Falken due to the fact that the price is a lot cheaper than the Bridgestone and I felt that they handled the same, although, saying that I was coming from the Dunlops...

I buy them off the internet and fit them in my local garage and I usually save about 20€ (I am in spain) per corner.

Last edited:

Bert

Tom AKA Bert
Mar 3, 2015
Rochester, Kent
yeh i have been looking the the goodyear eagle assymetric 2's they are about 110 each i think and they are quality tyres.no way would i go near a budget tyre on an LCR its just not worth it.thanks for the help man
No problems mate, I have Avon zv5 all round (on car when I bought it couple weeks ago) they don't handle too bad, but noisy! When I change I'll be going goodyear :)

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
Iam using maxxis Maz1 on the rear and Goodyear eagles f1 front. Maxxis been on about 1 year good strong solid tyre. Were cheap when I bought them .hard to find now. Iam pushing out about 290bhp In my cupra

Bert

Tom AKA Bert
Mar 3, 2015
Rochester, Kent
I know I'm in the south east, but we stock and promote maxxis, but I know we get our stock from Stapleton's, dunno if they sell directly to the public :)

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
suspension setup & strut bushing choice makes big difference to how well the front tyres stay on the ground under acceleration. was wondering has the vredestein ultrac sessanta fallen out of favour?

Bert

Tom AKA Bert
Mar 3, 2015
Rochester, Kent
suspension setup & strut bushing choice makes big difference to how well the front tyres stay on the ground under acceleration. was wondering has the vredestein ultrac sessanta fallen out of favour?
Personal preference, vredestein are very good tyres, but can buy similar quality over here for better money, vredestrien are similar to michelins, they will perish before wearing out

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
From my personal opinion on this on the LCR.

Bridgestone Potenza RE002: Were on the car when I got it, fairly good just on the noisy side.
vredestein ultrac sessanta: **** on wear, 5000 miles on the front otherwise not bad.
Uniroyal RS 3: Terrible on wear, never again!
Goodyear Eagle F1: Current on the front and spot on. Worth every single penny.

Hope this helps :)

parmi

Mar 14, 2012
Hi i have a Cupra R 225/45/18 and have owened since new 2004 have had put most tyres on Pirelli GT NERO Brill in dry ok in wet until they get to about 3mm alittle noisey but turn the sound up to 13 no noise, Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Brill in wet ok in dry quieter than pirelli, Michelin Pilot Sport good tyre all round but i found them wear more quickly, Conti S#@t don't buy, Bridgestone wear good but handling crap, Pirelli Rosso good but wear quick, GoodYear was ok until they got to about 3.5mm then crap, but did take longer to get there, YOko good but wear fast, NEVER had ditchfinders on hope it helps

parmi

Mar 14, 2012
Hi i have a Cupra R 225/45/18 and have owened since new 2004 have had put most tyres on Pirelli GT NERO Brill in dry ok in wet until they get to about 3mm alittle noisey but turn the sound up to 13 no noise, Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Brill in wet ok in dry quieter than pirelli, Michelin Pilot Sport good tyre all round but i found them wear more quickly, Conti :censored: don't buy, Bridgestone wear good but handling crap, Pirelli Rosso good but wear quick, GoodYear was ok until they got to about 3.5mm then crap, but did take longer to get there, YOko good but wear fast, NEVER had ditchfinders on hope it helps

PS look at tyre labelling Fuel Effi about d or better Wet Grip B or A and DB 69 to 72

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Ive got Firestone Firehawk SZ90's all round on mine and i think they are an excellent tyre. Fantastic grip and are wearing brilliantly.
1 pair has been on for 9 months now and have only worn about 1.5mm and i dont drive like a vicar...;)
Thats coming from Toyo Proxes T1r's and Falken FK452's. Both were good but wore quick especially the Toyo's.:(

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
Tyre leader are a German based tyre firm but UK deliver.

They've got the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport at £100 a tyre. Bargain at that money!

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Ive got Firestone Firehawk SZ90's all round on mine and i think they are an excellent tyre. Fantastic grip and are wearing brilliantly.
1 pair has been on for 9 months now and have only worn about 1.5mm and i dont drive like a vicar...;)
Thats coming from Toyo Proxes T1r's and Falken FK452's. Both were good but wore quick especially the Toyo's.:(

I'm a little confused I have just checked blackcircles.com and they have this tire 4 times ranging from £67 upto £105 I can't work out why they're the same tire only thing that changes is the speed rating from Y92 to Y88 on the more expensive ones...