Just went to buy this

wilky87

Apr 11, 2009
Advertised as 2003 SEAT LEON CUPRA R 1800 TURBO,BRIGHT RED WITH ANTHRACITE ALLOY WHEELS,TOTALLY STUNNING CAR IN EVERY WAY,FULL SERVICE HISTORY,MUST BE SEEN AND DRIVEN , 225 BAM ENGINE £4995

I was all excited, Low miles, well cared for, and the 225 BAM engine

media.jpg

media_2.jpg

Looked under the bonnet, Stamped AMK [:@] Gutted

Dealer advertises it as BAM, tear drop mirrors, Steering wheel, What the hell??

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
why gutted.
amk and bam very similar engines and the amk maps to more torque.
the amk came with the teardrops and the steering wheel. as they were a cupra r.

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
dont know they just mapped to more torque. i would assume its the slightly different variant on the k04 it runs

wilky87

Apr 11, 2009
I was a little pissed off as its was clearly advertised as BAM 225, Dealer offered £500 off

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
i think it might be worth it if its that clean.
i run the amk in my lcr
but i understand being pissed off as he advertised it as a bam didnt even check the engine code i guess

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
Where's this torque/bhp difference come from?

The engines are exactly the same aren't they? I've been inside mine after forging it a few weeks ago.

Only difference is the mapping, a stamp on the block and the early AMK's didn't have an egt sensor (the later ones, as does mine, do).

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
dont know they just mapped to more torque. i would assume its the slightly different variant on the k04 it runs

Need harder facts than that. AMK has a stronger gudgeon pin compared to BAM otherwise no difference.
Ran the same Turbo as far as I know. Are you sure your not comparing APY to AMK/BAM?

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
Both wrist pins are the same too (20mm).

Was just gonna say that, it's surprising what myths/speculation has arisen out of the AMK/BAM comparisons.

I notice it also makes a huge difference to the price of engines! Amk's you can get ~£300, BAM's are minimum double that and even up to 1k!

If I had a BAM engine LCR and it blew up, I'd be putting an AMK in!

Maybe that's what's gone on here, one of those reg checks of the car will tell you if it's a 210/225 model won't it?

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
the turbos are the same but a diffrent varient. the amk runs a ko4-22 and the bam ran a ko4-23
thats were differences mainly come from.

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
the turbos are the same but a diffrent varient. the amk runs a ko4-22 and the bam ran a ko4-23
thats were differences mainly come from.

Aren't the only differences between the 22 and 23 the egt sensor?

Also, mine's the later AMK 2003 and has the k04-023 (with the egt sensor).

Pretty sure all amk LCRs all have k04-23 as the 22 is the one without egt sensor. Think it was the early S3 with amk that used k04-22.

I thought they were in the early LCR's too (maybe wrong though).

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members