Cupra 280 oil leak

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Following its first service I noticed drops of oil on the drive and took it back to the SEAT garage to moan about a sloppy service.

Nearly one week on I noticed this morning it is still dripping!

Its booked back in on Monday as a warranty issue.

Just wondering if I'm the 1st with this issue?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Following its first service I noticed drops of oil on the drive and took it back to the SEAT garage to moan about a sloppy service.

Nearly one week on I noticed this morning it is still dripping!

Its booked back in on Monday as a warranty issue.

Just wondering if I'm the 1st with this issue?

Not on a Seat, but a new Audi, the sump plug washer was reused instead of replaced

When you took it back to complain they probably just tried tightening it up a bit more in the hope of stopping it dripping and avoiding having to drain off the new oil in the sump, but if that is the cause of your drip, it needs the oil draining and a new sump plug washer fitting to fix it properly

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Yeah unfortunately I think the its leaking higher than the sump plug as its collecting on the screw heads to at the top of the sump.

I just thought it was a messy oil change at first but a week on I don't think so.

Mar 13, 2011
Yeah unfortunately I think the its leaking higher than the sump plug as its collecting on the screw heads to at the top of the sump.

I just thought it was a messy oil change at first but a week on I don't think so.

Was it leaking oil before the service? You must have quite an early car if it has just been serviced.

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
No it was defiantly not leaking before the service as I wash it reasonably regularly and move it off the drive to do this, I think I would have spotted it.

There is always a chance it started a day or two before the service, but really I will never know.

Yeah my Cupra was an ex managers car got it in June but was registered in March.

I’m a bit pissed, I’d expected an old car to leak oil but its only 12 months old!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
No it was defiantly not leaking before the service as I wash it reasonably regularly and move it off the drive to do this, I think I would have spotted it.

There is always a chance it started a day or two before the service, but really I will never know.

Yeah my Cupra was an ex managers car got it in June but was registered in March.

I’m a bit pissed, I’d expected an old car to leak oil but its only 12 months old!

Not surprised your pissed off, I know I would be
Very slim chance it started leaking just before they had it in, I'd say its something they have done or not done that's caused the oil leak.
If it was it's first service, they don't do much apart from the oil change/filter change so can't see anything else that would cause a leak, probably screwed up the oil filter when they put it on, maybe didn't lube the rubber gasket before hand when they fitted it, or the old gasket was still stuck to the block (double gasket) when they fitted the new filter or they just didn't bother to hand tighten it enough

I'd certainly be wanting my engine cleaned up properly once they fixed the leak, and not just a wipe over with a rag either

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Mmm, I havnt been that impressed with the service so far and i've tried two different SEAT dealers now.
Thats what I thought - its only really an oil and filter change and some checks.
The things you do for a stamp in the service book.
Im hoping someone like Lexus make a good hot hatch the next time Im looking for a new one, just to get a good after market experience.

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
I had my Mk1 Cupra R serviced at my local SEAT dealer and they didn't screw the sump plug in properly which resulted in me dumping all down my street and all over my driveway. Also had a FIAT coupe years ago which leaked oil after a service....it was overspill from a sloppy refill.

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
This time tomorrow my cupra will be back at SEAT to investiagte this oil leak.

I'm definitely a pessimist but what ever they find I probably wont belive them, as long as oil stops dripping out that will be the main thing.

Rrr bloody SEAT dealers.

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
The high end dealers are no better I've also got a Mercedes and they put a new clutch in it last year only to not bolt the gearbox on properly and a nice trip down the motorway resulted in it coming loose wrecking the prop and diff and they tried blaming everyone except themselves.
I use holders in congresbury for my cupra and they are the best dealer I have ever come across.

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
There goes my theory then.

I've been moaning this week about how my next car is going to be a Mercedes, just to get good customer service!

Guess there are just good and bad dealers of every make out there.