Leon Cupra 265 and 280 power outputs badging

Mar 13, 2011
Why would you spec the 225 tyre for the 280, you said yourself (and your insurance company would probably insist) the 235 tyre is the one to go for.

I priced up some F1 Asymmetric 2's earlier as I want rid of the Bridgestones, the 235/35x19 cost £116 and the 235/40x18 cost £113. So comparing like for like there isn't much in it.
Also, just checked on black circles for fitted prices for Goodyear eagle f1 assy 2's

235/35/19 - £148
225/40/18 - £101

Big difference for 4. Out of interest, where did you find the 19" for £116? Was that fitted?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Not according to the brochure. The cupra 18" wheels are shod with 225/40/18 92Y, not 235 from factory. Same as my mk2 cupra was.

Yes but only the 265 comes with 18 inch wheels and a 225 width tyre. The 280 uses a 235 width tyre and I know from experience my insurance company were not happy about changing tyre size, which is why I went for the 235/40x18 for my winters.

So comparing like for like both 18 and 19 inch in a width of 235, the difference is minimal.

Mar 13, 2011
If I were to buy a set of 18" rims I would have no hesitation putting 225/40/18 on (£78 on the site you link to). If Seat themselves specify them as OE for what is essentially the same car then I don't see any insurance company having an issue with it. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they did challenge it.

Moot point anyway as I have no intention shelling out for new alloys as the cost outweighs the benefit. Could save close to £200 per set of replacement tyres, but the cost of new alloys means I'll never recover that outlay as I won't replace tyres often enough.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
235/40 18 is the best size for size equivalent, but that size tyre is unusual, hence the minimal price difference. 225/40 on the other hand is one of the most popular tyre sizes out there, so lots of choice and lower prices. They're also less than the universally recommended 2% maximum difference in diameter.

solbes

May 28, 2014
So, besides de 18 vs 19 inch wheels and the + 15 hp difference between both. Is there any other difference? I'm getting one and here in Mexico they only sell the 265 hp cuz apparently the 280 19" version is a problem with our streets' pot holes

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
According to the brochure I have;

In addition to Cupra;
/19" machined alloy wheels
/Black door mirrors
/Black exterior mouldings and frames
/Black interior decorative mouldings
/Black rear roof spoiler underside
/Red brake callipers with Cupra logo
/Satellite Navigation
/Steering wheel shift paddles (with DSG only)

So lots of black stuff... which on my Black car... is kinda wasted lol.

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
I chose 235/40/18 as my track wheels and tyres due to the fact they're the near enough the same size as my OEM 235/35/19 but are cheaper.

I could well be imagining it but even with Cups on it feels like a better ride quality, although they definitely are more noisy!

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands

In addition to Cupra;
/Black door mirrors
/Satellite Navigation

Strange.
Here in the Netherlands it is impossible to order the Blackline package on a black Cupra.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Strange.
Here in the Netherlands it is impossible to order the Blackline package on a black Cupra.

It's not the blackline package as that comes with black wheels too I think. I have the 280 and chose phantom black paint as it has a classy stealth look about it, and lets me get on without being bothered by twats in astras and meganes trying to race me. Also as a biker you can't have too much black.

solbes

May 28, 2014

In addition to Cupra;
/Black door mirrors
/Satellite Navigation

So I think SEAT sort of fused in the 265 with the 280 here in Mexico cuz the 265 version we have here has all of that bar the 19"s and the calipers with cupra logo, they are just red here. Everything else is the same for our 265 version. Also we used to get the Alcantara/Leather w/ white stripes seats. We only get leather now but the Winter Package comes standard.
Another thing I noticed is in the tiny screen in the dashboard. The car shows like in a 3D design now when a door is open instead of the 2D I had in my FR.

alejandrux

Feb 28, 2015
265 and remap it to 280 job done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

I live in México, here in my Country the Cupra model only came in 265HP DSG.

The difference to the 280Hp version is based on software only?

If so you know where I can upgrade the rest of 15HP to my car?

Regards

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Also as a biker you can't have too much black.

This is totally off topic but still; every rookie biker starts out with everything in black. BUT if you ride a superbike you start finding all that black being boring and change your gears piece by piece til you look like a stormtrooper. Or a Motogp wannabe. :rock:

Last edited:

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Not me, still all black leather except for white lid (only wear non leather in winter) and had lots of sports bikes along the way from 1977 to today.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Not me, still all black leather except for white lid (only wear non leather in winter) and had lots of sports bikes along the way from 1977 to today.

You sound like an old fart and hey c'mon CBF1000 as a sport bike :rofl:
I'd say you are way over 50

Btw 280 SC DSG is not the quickest one...

Last edited:

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
You sound like an old fart and hey c'mon CBF1000 as a sport bike :rofl:
I'd say you are way over 50

Btw 280 SC DSG is not the quickest one...

Try reading what I wrote, I said I have had my R1,s and even a Hayabusa when they were about and not that my current bike was a sports bike. Having said that it is no slouch and have passed and left behind many a so called sports bike as the rider can't meet the standard of the bike. I have seen these twats in their fancy race suits buying their super sports machines just for bragging points down the local pub/cafe or even on a forum, but out on a twisty road they would have been better sticking to an old CB 200 because that's how most of them ride. I may be 60 but I still like to ride fast, and don't get hung up about having to have the latest machinery, you might not live to ride as long as me as you are sounding a bit like the aforementioned twats, but if you do mature one day my friend, you may live to be as you so profoundly put it, an old fart too.:rolleyes:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members