Update: blown turbo Cupra 280 repaired and failed again

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Now what was that I was saying about how long it taken me to choose and then much I was enjoying life with the Cupra on other threads?

Friday the 13th

Well Friday the 13th has certainly struck for me today. The Cupra suffered a spectacular engine failure this morning and gave me a properly scary moment in the process. Tootling along in the morning traffic on the motorway at 40mph in eco mode I press the accelerator gently expecting the car to engage a gear and pick up speed slowly. Uh oh...

Instead I get the dash message "Restart engine manually". Uh...what...how...I try the key, nope, 'select P/N' (on DSG), eventually sort out moving lever in to N while trying to manage the car on a moving Motorway at varying speeds with no power. There are no warning lights on the dashboard at this point. The engine comes back to life unexpectedly as I desperately tried to fight my way across 3 lanes of traffic to the hard shoulder in the pouring rain but provides no power at all. The engine then does the following:

- Make a noise like an oversized dump valve letting off but at the volume of air brakes being let off on a truck - or in other words loud.
- Bellow a huge cloud of black smoke out of the exhaust, nuclear tests have nothing on the cloud that erupted.
- Makes a loud squeal something like the Starship Enterprise transporter room sound.
- Push enough white smoke out of the exhaust to screen a tank column advance.

In these few seconds I finally reached the hard shoulder and drifted to a stop a short distance from a recovery phone. How this didn't end in an accident I still don't know.

I get out of the car to make the emergency call and there are some serious pops and bangs coming from under the car and white smoke still pouring out. The burning smells are a mix of oven cleaner and oil.

Recovery

The AA were incredible 10/10, the car was on a flatbed truck within 15 minutes and I was in a nice warm cab.

SEAT vehicle replacement were absolutely useless 1/10. They took nearly 2 hours to find any local hire car place that could find a replacement. Did you know VAG group recovery means they will only allow you to drive another VAG car? I didn't and this was the major cause of delay, no one locally on my route had a VW car to loan out! Eventually they found me a boggo manual Polo but my appointment was more important than the car I arrived in so I took it.

Dr House does not work for SEAT

So what do we know now the car is back at SEAT Swansea:

Initial data check of the car: over 30 faults showing, misfire on all cylinders.
Diagnosis: Contaminated fuel. Yes, I know, I don't know where they get these ideas from either. The fuel looked a funny colour in the tank apparently. I was not remotely amused by this suggestion. Anyone else think the dealer was trying to place fault back with me?

Solution: Drain the fuel tank and add new fuel.
Result: New fuel in they start the engine followed by lots and lots of white smoke, 30 faults and a misfire on all cylinders. Lots more white smoke.

Meanwhile I've spoken to the manager of the Tesco where I filled up the night before with Momentum 99 to ask if they have had any reported fuel contamination problems. Oddly enough they haven't and as thousands of cars pass through their petrol station every day the chances of my car being the only one affected seem remote. Tesco manager politely suggests SEAT dealer is mistaken. I tend to agree.

Second data check: Same set of faults - fuel contamination now ruled out!
Diagnosis: They don't know what is wrong.
Next step: send all the data to VW technicians because they haven't seen any problems like this before. No one in until Monday wait until then.

To add insult to injury they can't offer a better car than the base Polo, a choice of basic Ibiza or Mii doesn't float my boat so I get to keep the oddly black mint with a hole for the weekend. Fantastic.

This could be my shortest ever car ownership. I'm still within the 30 day exchange period and at this moment it's going back from whence it came. Such a shame, a fine car but this is a shocker. The true irony is this car has lived the easiest life of any car I have ever owned. It's covered maybe 200 spirited, not flat out, miles the rest have been boring motorway and city traffic miles. By contrast my S2000 spent it's first week on 2 track days and never missed a beat.

My diagnosis? After years of being around cars here is my diagnosis:

- Blown turbo, the white smoke and strange noises suggest that but no one is listening.
- The misfires? Blown turbo doesn't explain that so some form of engine failure on one or more cylinders.

Watch this space folks I will keep you updated.

Mon 16th - confirmed as blown turbo on 'exhaust side', parts on the way. Should have the car back by mid week.

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
wow.... just wow! :eek: gutted for ya mate, as you seemed to be really liking the car. I hope they just take it back and give you a new one (assuming you would have it).

I guess things can happen to any make/model of car, some are perfect from day one, others a just a time bomb like yours was it seems.

Just hope you get the result you want - keep us posted.

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
That's bad mate....I feel your pain. I know some of the earlier Cupra's suffered from turbo blade failure...as did a batch of Golf R's . Perhaps this is what happened here?

smurf123

Feb 9, 2014
swindon wiltshire
i live in swindon wiltshire where we have a huge tesco and was told a week ago that they had problems with contaminated fuel.i had a seat leon mk 2 i bought from new and it never went for 10weeks and vw were excellent could not fault them i did not want the car back but they twisted my arm by giving me an extra 5 year warrenty on top of the 3 years and any accessory that i wanted on the car they will fix it

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Thanks and yep it's just a car and as I made my appointment today nothing lost.

I agree it can happen to any car, years ago we had a new MX5 delivered only to find the LSD oil seals were missing on build and it poured oil out everywhere. It was quickly fixed and never missed a beat.

If you ever need a reminder of how good the Cupra is hire a basic Polo for an hour.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
That's bad mate....I feel your pain. I know some of the earlier Cupra's suffered from turbo blade failure...as did a batch of Golf R's . Perhaps this is what happened here?

Thank you, yes, I'd put money on this being the case - the squealing sound and white smoke would suggest exactly this.The dealer just says no turbo faults show on the system...computer says no.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
if your within 30 days / 1000 miles then can ask for the car to be exchanged

if your with vw finance theres also a clause called right of withdrawal if your within first 14 days, if this is the case ring them asap and speak to customer satisfaction team 01908 485000 is the tel number

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
some of the stuff supermarkets use has been known to be of poorer quality than likes of shell / bp

other solution is if your running tesco fuel as example use millers ecomax its similar to redex I'm led to believe

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
if your within 30 days / 1000 miles then can ask for the car to be exchanged

if your with vw finance theres also a clause called right of withdrawal if your within first 14 days, if this is the case ring them asap and speak to customer satisfaction team 01908 485000 is the tel number

Thanks I'm within 30 days / 1000 it will most likely going back under this arrangement or similar. No finance but thanks for the info.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Sorry to hear about the Cupra.

Isn't the base fuel all the same, it's the additives that BP, Shell, Esso etc add that make the difference?

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
some of the stuff supermarkets use has been known to be of poorer quality than likes of shell / bp

other solution is if your running tesco fuel as example use millers ecomax its similar to redex I'm led to believe

Used Tesco Diesel for a long time now... and you know what I think....
Its just the same as all the rest...
But I do put the likes of Millers Eco Power Max in every now & again & other additives
can say theres much lacking in the power dept of any of my Cars with there fuel..
Every one should try some OXICAT in there tank atleast once....
80miles more from full tank... & it clears out VNT mech
quite amazing stuff
and it considering the last two lots of full tanks & Cans I fill up with getting that 14 or 18p off per litre you cant knock it.
Its produced to a BS for gods sake Trading Standards would stop them if it was sub standard.

Last edited:

unclelonghair

Jul 6, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sorry to hear about the Cupra.

Isn't the base fuel all the same, it's the additives that BP, Shell, Esso etc add that make the difference?

In most cases, yes, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Tesco Momentum was partially biofuel to get the Octane rating up. I used to have a Volvo S40 T5 and it didn't run well on Tesco Momentum but was fine on the Shell and BP premium fuels.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
im gutted to hear about your Cupra mate :(

to my knowledge there's no preference at the fuel terminal as to who gets what. Tesco will buy it from a supplier and they won't be the only ones to buy it from that supplier. Kingsbury is the main local distributor around here and if i filled up at the Shell garage because of the 'brand' chances are very probable that id still be using the same fuel they supplied to the local Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, Sainsburys Co-op, BP and Esso.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.