Michelin Pilot Supersport overkill on diesel fr?

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Just ordered a pair of 225/40 18 Michelin pilot supersport tyres for my fr to replace the oe bridgestones.Will be fitting them when I change from the winter tyres. Were only about £20 more expensive per tyre than a conti or Goodyear and seem to get good reviews. Is it overkill on a diesel? I do intend either remapping or fitting a tuning box so will have a reasonable amount of power.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I wouldn't say it's overkill, you can never have too good a tyres on a car
After all those four little patch of rubber are the only thing keeping you on the road ☺

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Would be interesting to know if there is less road noise too

I went from Conti SC 5's to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and they are noticeably quieter. Can't wait to change the rears now, just 5mm to go……

It's not just the performance factor with better tyres, it's safety too - I would rather know the car will stop well before the stationary 30 tonne HGV whereas some £30 Wang Dong specials probably won't. Cheap tyres = false economy.

EoinM

I went from Conti SC 5's to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and they are noticeably quieter. Can't wait to change the rears now, just 5mm to go……

It's not just the performance factor with better tyres, it's safety too - I would rather know the car will stop well before the stationary 30 tonne HGV whereas some £30 Wang Dong specials probably won't. Cheap tyres = false economy.
I did the same, 14k km and the fronts need replacing again though. Pretty disappointed, even the contis outlasted them!

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Having now driven a few hundred miles on the Michelins in both dry and wet conditions , I would highly recommend them! Grip is superb and steering feels more precise although that could be due to running winter tyres for the last few months. The pilot super sport tyres so far have exceeded my expectations - had pilot sports about ten years ago and it put me off using Michelin tyres since then as they were rubbish. Have used cont sport 5 (which was my current favourite ), Goodyear f1 and toyo to name a few but definitely going to stick with Michelin now. Hopefully the statement about them lasting longer than other brands will be true as well. The cup 2's must be awesome!

Last edited:

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Hope you don't refer tot the Micherlin PS2 since the Supersport is the follow up to this tyre and only a little bit better (all depending on the car you drove 10 years ago).

Supersports perform very good on a fast fwd car but wear really fast (they are soft which in this case delivers loads of grip). If you like the conti 5's (i don't) these wear even faster.

The Michelin PS3 are more like upgraded exalto's, good on mileage but they don't corner that well and wouldn't be my choice on a Leon.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Had Conti sports on Pi55rat ( original fit) wore out really quickly, less than 14k on fronts.
No such thing as overkill on tyres. Only point of contact etc etc.

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I've just seen my cup2's at the dealers... there ain't much tread on them lol. Gonna make wet driving "fun" hehe. in the dry they must be epic though.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Hope you don't refer tot the Micherlin PS2 since the Supersport is the follow up to this tyre and only a little bit better (all depending on the car you drove 10 years ago).

Supersports perform very good on a fast fwd car but wear really fast (they are soft which in this case delivers loads of grip). If you like the conti 5's (i don't) these wear even faster.

The Michelin PS3 are more like upgraded exalto's, good on mileage but they don't corner that well and wouldn't be my choice on a Leon.

Was the original Michelin pilot sport which came as standard on a 2001 ibiza tdi sport which was tuned to 170bhp and did quite a few track days with as well. I realise tyre technology has moved on a lot since then. Was going to buy ps3 instead of the supersport but most of the reviews weren't great on them.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
You did well, didn't like the PS3 at all. Don't know what Michelin was thinking with the PS3 especially the sport part is out of place. Basically is not a very bad tyre (way better than the energy's) but more suited for mileage than performance.
The old PS1 performed well on rwd sportscars but was an absolute mismatch on light fwd cars, PS2 was a lot better and the supersports are a good choice on the Leon 3 (cups are even better in dry wetter but wear too fast for daily use).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.