Cold start problem 1.4TSI

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Hey guys, my car seems to have a cold start issues.

When the engine is cold, it takes a few seconds to start. It always starts, but the starter motor just has to turn a bit longer.
When the car is warm, it starts in a split second.

The car runs like a dream, uses no oil, no EPC or other weird lights, everything is fine. Just cold start is being silly.

It does not matter if the car stood still for 1 night or for 3 weeks, its always the same. (so that would exclude leaking injectors I guess?)
They also checked the timing chain, and that was good also. Again the car runs like a dream, it has no issues whatsoever after it starts.

Anyone has any idea?

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
No, its not the cold weather. It been overnight at the garage a few times also (and in the garage its atleast 15c+). It takes way to long to fire up.

There are no fault codes or anything either btw.

Last edited:

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Nope no idea..
Its so weird since the car runs like a dream, so cant find any faults. Its just the cold start thats silly.

RyBoc

Aug 17, 2014
Might be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Seat are dog **** for diagnosing any problems no matter how small it is, in comparison to other dealers

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Might be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Seat are dog **** for diagnosing any problems no matter how small it is, in comparison to other dealers

How do you check if its the high pressure fuel pump? And wouldnt that cause problems also when driving/flooring it?

Last edited:

RyBoc

Aug 17, 2014
Usually only causes problems at start up due to not enough pressure. Most cars pressure starts to build up through fuel pump at ignition whereas Bocanegra doesn't. if you change to upgraded pump it'll fix the start up issue, however other than those symptoms im not sure how to diagnose as that's what it was for me

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a comment/question really, have either of you two guys witnessed another 1.4TSI engine car being started from cold? I ask that as my B8 S4 takes a lot longer than I would expect to fire up when cold/over night stopping, I am just comparing that car with my previous cars, what has been said on the Audi S/RS forums is that the firing is inhibited by the ECU to allow the fuel rail pressure to get to target level, maybe this was done by a S/W update. On that idea, have either of your cars been in for a service recently as Seat claim they check for S/W level and update as necessary - and I'd doubt if the dealer would think of telling you about that action!

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Mine sorta just started to get worse over the past few months. I bought mine new 4 years ago and it never was like this.
Thing is, it runs like a dream and I dont have any oil issues or other crazy stuff people usually complain about. I'm just afraid that this little start "issue" might break and then break something else that would ruin the engine. :p

The high pressure pump is kinda expensive I think (thats the one in the engine compartment right?), would suck to get a new one and then realise thats not it. hehe
Ill have a chat with my garage. :)
(my official dealer went bankrupt 1,5 year ago, so I'm now getting it serviced and stuff at the same place where we have our company cars, their a good bunch so maybe we can figure something out.)

Last edited:

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Have you tried leaving the key a couple of seconds in the on position before firing up, to see if it helps?
If it helps it may point to the fuel pump.

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
How do you check if its the high pressure fuel pump? And wouldnt that cause problems also when driving/flooring it?

Anyone?

Did you make any progress, Alex?

Still the same here, drives like a dream but just the cold start is taking to long.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Well, you have the "old" engine, so if you haven't had any revised parts installed eventually it might break. Sorry to say this! :(
To be on the safe side you should have new pistons, piston rings, injectors and hpfp.
I have fitted these parts too to get it off my mind.
Btw have you checked your battery?
If you have a friend with the same pump you could try swapping them?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.