Newbie/ Tempted by the new Cupra 280

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Hi all

I'm si from Manchester and have decided to visit this forum as ive recently been looking at a new car (well a used one anyway).

Currently drive an R26 which although I love, does tend to attract the boy racer tags from people at work which is something I want to move away from. I need a car for work but I don't want it to be boring to drive and so ive been looking at the cupra 280 as it looks very shuttle and I hope to move into something with better build quality.

So I'm really wanting people opinions of it, good or bad to help me decide whether or not to go for one. I will be using it for B road blasts and general everyday things including for work.

I want to know build quality, reliability, thrill factor etc. :help:

Thanks in advance

Si

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Ive only done just over 700 miles in mine so its still a bit new, tight and something to get used to... but so far I love it. Not had any build quality issues (no rattles or things like some have, could be cos im still on winter 18's atm), cant comment on reliability but thrill factor... even with a tight as a nut engine, you can see its got some punch to it. Deaf worth taking a dealers car out for a good blast (extended if you can) to see what you think of it.

You will get a mixed bunch on here, some love them, a few on here hate them but at least you get both sides of the story.

Oh and welcome! :D

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Had mine 4 months now and still love it. No rattles at all and build quality does seem very good. Economy is great for such a performer as well. Always said I'd never go for a auto box but decided to give it a try this time and it is superb.

Mar 13, 2011
Lots of threads to read through on here. You will get mixed opinions but if you accept the fact its a powerful front driver (with the downsides which go along with that) I'd be surprised if the car disappoints. The dealer network attracts a lot of whinging too.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
What are the typical problems and issues with them then- are we talking about small niggles or major mechanical or electrical problems

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
What are the typical problems and issues with them then- are we talking about small niggles or major mechanical or electrical problems

Had 2 new rear lights, some sort of noise from the the engine but I am the only one who can hear it, seat engineer can not hear it must be deaf, DAB hit and miss 1st service £179 rip off oil change service. Traction very poor from a standing start up to about 30 mph but over all love it.

Last edited:

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
I've had my 280 DSG for 5 months and have done nearly 4k miles and have loved every mile in it. I came from several Audis and while the quality of the interior isn't as high as in those cars (very little is it seems), the thrill factor and sheer driving enjoyment of my Cupra more than compensates for it. (there's nothing wrong with the interior quality in the Leon and my only fault has been a noisy seal around one of the driver's side doors that you hear above 70mph...) I think as far as bang for your buck goes, there is very little to beat it. Plus I love its understated looks - so far only people who know what it is sit up and take notice so I've been pleasantly lacking in boy racer attention.
Take one for a (extended) blast and that will make your mind up one way or the other. It did for me!

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I may give the dealer a shout and see what he can do for the test drive, if he lets me go out of the city then great if not then , well it's manchester, it sucks for driving anyhow.

They seem pretty solid to me although I read one of the threads on here goes into a turbo blowing up twice, that's a bit of a concern tbh. If it's just some small niggles then it should be fine. And an ignorant / obtuse seat dealer can't be much worse than some renault dealers.

Would getting one with a sub 8 pack make it look more boy racer then .

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
it's a very quick car with some great deign features but definitely no boy racer image.
Reviewers love it; clever front diff, good grip, nice interrior, not lairy at all - great bang for buck.
and some good deals around too...

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I dont think the Sub8 adds much (in the way of chav status that is). different wheels, and some side skirts... need a keen eye for the brembos and drilled discs. If i could justify the cost I may have gone for it, but would prob pick bucket seats over sub8 if I had to choose between the 2.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I think you will love it, I think the trick is to find yourself a good dealer, then if you come across any niggles they will be sorted.

I test drove a 280, ended up getting an FR in the end, but the 280 was flipping quick, comfy and great on the back roads. The one I drove was in Monsoon Grey and didn't get a second look so very subtle to people who don't know what it is.

Last edited:

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I dont think the Sub8 adds much (in the way of chav status that is). different wheels, and some side skirts... need a keen eye for the brembos and drilled discs. If i could justify the cost I may have gone for it, but would prob pick bucket seats over sub8 if I had to choose between the 2.

I thought the sub 8 added more performance tbf , like an LSD and weight shedding or something. I would like those bucket seats , DSG, brembos and alloys but I haven't seen any used ones with all the above. Maybe I'm just getting starry eyed :rofl:

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I think you will love it, I think the trick is to find yourself a good dealer, then if you come across any niggles they will be sorted.

I test drove a 280, ended up getting an FR in the end, but the 280 was flipping quick, comfy and great on the back roads. The one I drove was in Monsoon Grey and didn't get a second look so very subtle to people who don't know what it is.

My local dealer is lookers seat and ive never had dealings with them yet other than when I went to look at the car the sales rep didn't know much about it.

Is FR the sporty diesel version of the cupra, like a golf GTD to a gti , forgive the daft question just trying to make sure I udnerstand the seat lingo

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi SiR

Not a silly question the 184FR is the same engine as in the GTD. I have gone for the petrol FR 1.8 180 bhp, like the way it drove and got a good deal. Should have it by Friday so will post a few pics at the weekend.

Last edited:

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Hi SiR

Not a silly question the 184FR is the same engine as in the GTD. I have gone for the petrol FR 1.8 180 bhp, like the way it drove and got a good deal. Should have it by Friday so will post a few pics at the weekend.

Thanks rob, so FR isn't the diesel version but more of a trim like audi sline across the range.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Thanks everyone for the imput by the way, helps when switching models of car. I've managed to drive loads of models through work cars but never a seat. Much appreciated

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
That's it exactly. I have had my Mk2 FR 2008 from New and no real issues at all, has only been to the dealer for routine servicing.

If you test drive the 280 also try the 1.8 FR about 5k less very GTI like to drive IMO.

Good luck and have fun on test drives.

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
Thanks everyone for the imput by the way, helps when switching models of car. I've managed to drive loads of models through work cars but never a seat. Much appreciated

I come from a megane rs 250 cup to the leon sc 280 cupra, like chalk n cheese in the way they drive but not all in a bad way, the leon makesits power a lot lower down the rev range and pulls harder, and its nice to be able to turn the stiffness of the shocks down. I did want the new 275 trophy megane but after trying 3 dealers i couldnt get one below 30k with the extras i wanted. Im slowly warming to the leon, dont regret buying it, and the deal the dealer done after a month or so of pesting him couldnt be missed.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
My local dealer is lookers seat and ive never had dealings with them yet other than when I went to look at the car the sales rep didn't know much about it.

If that's Lookers in Manchester/Stockport you are better off going to David Cook in Chadderton much better dealer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise