Timing Belt Pulley

WATSON

Nov 24, 2014
Scottish Borders
So yesterday on my way home my car started to make a rattly noise got home and kept it running to have a look, found out the noise was coming from timing belt but it was replaced at 105k car is now at 115k, so i proceeded to take top timing belt cover off to find that one side was very slack shined a torch down to see that the plastic pulley has broke and its just the metal bearing that is left should i replace the pulley or get the whole kit and is there any threads with photos on how to do it!
Thanks

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
Stop running it!! If there's no tension the belt will either slip ( sounds like it has already) or come off completely causing your engine to smash itself to bits! How long ago was the belt done? And was the tensioner replaced at that time? Most kits come with a warranty, most of them 2years, so I'd look at that first, you might get a new kit out of the manufacturer, if not I'd replace the lot as you don't know what damage has been done to the belt, it might snap if it's damaged, but I wouldn't start the car again until it's sorted

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
Hi Watson, to be honest I would advise that you don't drive this until you get this sorted. I'm no expert but lumpy running could be due to timing belt being slack as if the timing is out the engine will not run as it should (lumpily as you suggest). If you are replacing the pulley I would suggest changing belt and tensioner for good measure, if the belt has gone slack, this may lead to uneven/premature wear on the belt. By the same token it may not but for the sake of a few quid, you'll have a lot more piece of mind. Who did the belt? Could you get them to replace for free if there's a warranty? I agree that tis does seem premature!

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
Sorry if last post is a repeat, I was writing it as the other two responses came through, but all three seem to suggest similar opinions if that's any indication!

WATSON

Nov 24, 2014
Scottish Borders
im not driving it just started it up to move it to flat spot so i could jack it up to start removing stuff and it was done in jan last year but wasn't driven for most of the time as the person who owned it was at uni and i got it in may but was a first car so couldent drive it until july i will get in contact with the person who changed it and i think it was the full kit

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it was the previous owner that had the belt replaced, if I were you, I'd forget about all that and just buy a complete cambelt kit and water pump and fit them. One thing though, which engine is it, if it is the BBY/BBZ then you should really either buy extra bits, namely either the top idler pulley complete with arm, or a new top idler pulley which is sold as an individual item for the derv engines, as that one is also known to cause problems.

I have had an indie replace all these parts on wife's BBY engine Polo 9N twice and the parts removed "looked like new" - but I was always happier to go with recommended miles/months replacement periods, which was in my case 40K/48 months.

Last edited:

WATSON

Nov 24, 2014
Scottish Borders
thanks for the help the old owner uses a garage which is only 5 miles away so might speak to the garage firt but i dont have the receipts so might just do it myself

WATSON

Nov 24, 2014
Scottish Borders
Do you guys know if there are timing marks already on the car if my timing is out if so i will get kit 2moro and fit it myself if not i will take it to garage to get it timed properly

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
Not sure on that one pal, but if I was you I'd just get the garage to do it, they'll probably have the timing tools to do it properly and its a job worth getting done properley as you'll get a guarantee

WATSON

Nov 24, 2014
Scottish Borders
good point but local garage are asking £357 isn't that abit pricey and closest seat dealer is 22 miles away so would have to get it towed or taken on a trailer there

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members