o2m shim?

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
Best way to find out look in the passenger side wheel arch with full lock left on pull plastic guard back and see if there's a black round bung. That will tell u all u need to know mate. Simple fix. Good luck

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield

So I'm guessing this means I no have 02m box? =( could it be that the box looks like a possible replacement? I have no receipts for that however it looks all shiny and nearly new compared to the selector for example

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield

If you look at the selector it's nice and grimy as it should be after 73k but the box itself is pretty shiny maybe Its just wishful thinking on my part =)

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Sorry for the spam guys but after finding nothing about a silver cap all I can come up with is mine is the 02m box but for whatever reason it has been resprayed silver along with said little black/silver cap? Gonna go out try scrape paint off without killing my fingernails =D

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
I'm talking about the whole gearbox not just that side... its got no damage reported on log book and the body is straight so if it's been in a bump it's been repaired really well... but either way I'm hoping I can get the 02m shim for this and hopefully say goodbye to 2nd gear crunch when it's cold

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Just ordered from seat £10.77 hopefully will be fitting Friday... Hoping that it will work... I just guessed at the fact mine has a cap so it will come off... The only other boxes I have seen are full sealed on this side so here hoping... If not I'm just gonna smash up my box =(

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Well guys I ballsed it up... basically long story short I was laughing at how easy this was all up until the point at which the snap clip got involved... snap clip pliers screw drivers anything I could find... wouldn't come out so I got annoyed with it and ended up bending the snap clip... so now I need to find a replacement but I can't find a part number etc for it =( anyone know of the number care to share this nugget of info to make an angry man calm again?

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Think this is it? Number 27a

5d471e7827dc5545720f62ed219f4ad7.jpg

Last edited:

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Hopefully they can source one for me or tell me where I would be likely to get one =( but the picture helps a great deal at explaining what I need from them thank you very much =D

hendo#1

Oct 25, 2014
Carlisle
Just to add to this thread, I have a 54 plate LCR with 70K on the clock.

Overall my gearbox is good(ish). It has no whining whatsoever, but has always been a bit clunky changing gear, especially 1st - 2nd, even when fully warmed up after a long (100+ mile) run.

Ive changed the gearbox oil for fresh OE Seat stuff
Ive changed the gearbox cable bushes for the aluminium ones.
Ive reset the cables to the linkages.
Finally I did the gearbox shim mod.

Its still no better.

I guess its something I'm just going to have to live with, but it does ruin the driving experience when you've got to nurse it into gear sometimes.

There was still a small amount of back/forwards play on the bearing after the shim was installed, I wonder if its worth putting another additional shim in...?

Last edited:

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
I think that's the part number you need for the clip 0A5 311 183

That's good that's the one I ordered from seat today arriving Tuesday so until then I'm not driving the car as the clip isn't in proper at the moment and the cap isn't on properly I don't want to break anything =(

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Just to add to this thread, I have a 54 plate LCR with 70K on the clock.

Overall my gearbox is good(ish). It has no whining whatsoever, but has always been a bit clunky changing gear, especially 1st - 2nd, even when fully warmed up after a long (100+ mile) run.

Ive changed the gearbox oil for fresh OE Seat stuff
Ive changed the gearbox cable bushes for the aluminium ones.
Ive reset the cables to the linkages.
Finally I did the gearbox shim mod.

Its still no better.

I guess its something I'm just going to have to live with, but it does ruin the driving experience when you've got to nurse it into gear sometimes.

There was still a small amount of back/forwards play on the bearing after the shim was installed, I wonder if its worth putting another additional shim in...?

Mines clunky from 1st to 2nd only when it's cold so I'm dropping the oil out next week and I'm gonna finish up the shim mod also hoping it will cure it however its not a problem as it's only when cold and nursing it stops it...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members