What performance increase should I expect from a performance exhaust & dpf removal?

SeatBull

Mar 25, 2014
I have a seat Ibiza 2.0 tdi. Already been remapped.

I've been looking at getting a fabricated exhaust, with a decat & dpf removal.

What gains should I be expecting (been told around 20bhp) and I've been told it will be a smoother, more powerful drive, is this correct?

Are there any downsides?

I've been quoted roughly £400 for the full job, is this reasonable?

Cheers

cupra220

Nov 5, 2013
My son has just had his DPF removed and Revo stage 2 put on and they claim the power is upto about the 230-240 bhp range.The car is Ibiza 2.0tdi fr.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
Removing the DPF is not only highly irresponsible, you will also be breaking the law and your car will fail MOT.

But hey, let's pour soot and other chemicals into the atmosphere for an extra 10bhp!

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
On the whole though, I'm sure the amount of carbon waste being produced by a car with no dpf in comparison with most of the v8 yank tanks is relatively small. If this is the worst SeatBull ever does then he doesn't have too much to worry about. My dad got his dpf removed from his exeo along with a map and it definitely goes better than before with a map alone.

cupra220

Nov 5, 2013
I Agree with MjrSharpe on this matter,the car goes alot better and for what soot it chucks out it is not worth worrying about.It is like Decatting a petrol car,that should not be done but loads of people do it.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah sure loads of people do it. Then you drive into the back of an Aston Martin and the insurance company doesn't pay out because the car is illegally modified. I'm sure I'm probably not going to change anyones mind on this, but when you're looking at a 5 figure bill to repair that Aston, you won't be thinking "at least I'm saving money due to my 4mpg increase and that extra power... Well worth it."

I've been down this route before, I had a straight pipe on my first car and when I hit some Toyota, my insurance didn't pay out and I had to take out a 5 grand loan to pay the repairs/fine and my car just went to a scrappers and I had a 6 month ban on my license. Trust me, it's not worth the hassle and getting a weekend job to pay back the repair loan.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I've not heard of anyones insurance getting cancelled due to a DPF removal, or a decat.

If you don't inform your insurance company of changes to a vehicle, then get in a smash they won't cover you.
If you do make sure they know then you're covered.

You will fail an MOT now tho for a DPF removal, so unless you wanna go swapping exhausts about every time the MOT is due it's not really worth the hassle.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I've not heard of anyones insurance getting cancelled due to a DPF removal, or a decat.

If you don't inform your insurance company of changes to a vehicle, then get in a smash they won't cover you.

You will fail an MOT now tho for a DPF removal, so unless you wanna go swapping exhausts about every time the MOT is due it's not really worth the hassle.

I've never heard of anybody declaring it on their insurance lately :rolleyes:

We got rid of our de-DPFd CR170 Leon for a CupraR in a hurry because I had already declared it, and the insurance basically told me to either get it sorted, or come February 2014 (when the MOT law came in) the car would be in breach of terms and I would not be covered.

So in effect...yes...our cover would have been cancelled had we not put a DPF back on.

Also, now after having done more research on it and having 2 kids of my own... it's incredibly irresponsible to let diesel particulates float free. They're a lot more harmful than what a petrol spits out. Mostly because of their particle size. I regret doing it.
Especially as I've gone head-to-head with cars with DPF and a similar tune and mine was maaarrrginally faster, and only at the top end. You'd never know the difference daily.

Last edited:

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014

This was in Australia where any modification is classed as illegal if you're under the age of 21 which is why I got a ban on my license. The insurance company invalidated my policy due to not telling them about something that was illegal. In effect, it's the same as driving without a DPF.

You wouldn't tell your insurance company about that nos kit you have installed, just like you wouldn't tell them about removing the DPF. :p

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Also, now after having done more research on it and having 2 kids of my own... it's incredibly irresponsible to let diesel particulates float free. They're a lot more harmful than what a petrol spits out. Mostly because of their particle size. I regret doing it.
Especially as I've gone head-to-head with cars with DPF and a similar tune and mine was maaarrrginally faster, and only at the top end. You'd never know the difference daily.

To be fair tho if you're worried about the environmental issues you should probably be riding a bike everywhere, and living out in the countryside away from all the crap.

Besides the buses round here chuck out enough smoke for 1000 diesel cars, yet they're the ones allowed to drive through the centre of the city :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Could be worse tho, this is Beijing on a bad day:

_65253310_zmiv221o.jpg

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
To be fair tho if you're worried about the environmental issues you should probably be riding a bike everywhere, and living out in the countryside away from all the crap.

Besides the buses round here chuck out enough smoke for 1000 diesel cars, yet they're the ones allowed to drive through the centre of the city :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Could be worse tho, this is Beijing on a bad day:

_65253310_zmiv221o.jpg
I'm actually more interested in some prat without insurance running into me and me having to go through the lengthy process of forcing a 3rd party claim through their insurance despite them not upholding the terms of their contract.

Declare all mods. If you can't declare a mod because it's illegal, tough ****ing ****.
De-dpf isn't worth it, end of,unless you're building a track only machine.
Guarantee you you will not feel 10hp. You'll lose it again by eating a Micky D's

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members