Going to see a Leon 280 tomnorrow. Convince me to buy this over an Impreza

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
I have the subaru STI (2011 Se) and drive the cupra 280 on a weekly basis (both being the latest in a long rowe of fast hatches and a ttrs).

I would say if you're looking for a fast daily that can be very easily tuned and tracked go for the Cupra it's easily the best choice.

I you're looking for something special and a real drivers car that offers endless grip under all weather conditions go for a Sti or Evo (if that's what you're looking for you'll simply be disapointed by the cupra).

My 2011 Se sti (no rattles at all and stage 2 ) is extremely fast in every weather condition and only can be matched by the cupra under dry conditions.

The Cupra being a powerfull fwd car offers a lot of drama and can easily be brought to it's limits (everybody to a certain levell can go fast in it).
This is the biggest downside of de STI, The turbo really gets going over 3800 Rpm, and the 4wd system is extremely capable which means you'll drivers license will constantly be at risk if you drive it like it is meant to be, the all new WRX with the new 2.0 engine is much more of a competitor for the Curpra.

Best compliment about the STI I got from a French highway cop (got stopped because they wanted to look a my car).
They used to drive with Sti's and out of chauvinism they changed to a tuned Megane RS. Instead of praising the megane the comment was that it was a fun car for a few hours (or a fast lap) but also not more than a toy, whereas their old sti's was more of a very reliable worktool that got better and better with the time.

Last edited:

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
Not being funny but why would you want forum members to convince you to buy the Cupra. If you like the car, buy it. If your not sure don't buy it.

Ultimately you will have to live with it so the decision should be yours and yours alone..........

ok thanks.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
Well went to the Seat garage and ended up buying the lovely Monsoon Grey 280 they had. managed to get it for a reasonable price too. Wasn't able to take it home that night so they lent me a car to get home in (60+miles, part exchanged my old car) and will be picking it up on friday all sparkly and clean :) can't wait.
thanks for all the advice, guys.
Will wait a few years i think and get an Impreza when they can be bothered to update it a bit internally and maybe a new engine!

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
The impreza has a dinasaur of an engine and is slower on the move. (don't let the hit of torque fool you) Things have moved on, Subaru haven't, sad statement from someone that is a die hard fan that's owned two of the best over a 10 year period (P1 & Spec C)

very true...the vag scene has moved on pretty well,the evos are getting there but there is something I cant quite put my finger on with those cars that im not keen on....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.