Brake Tidy Up - Wheel Photos Added

chr1sd

Mar 16, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Im getting my Cupra alloys refurbed on monday and wanted to take the opportunity to tidy the brakes up. Has anyone sprayed or painted their Red calipers before and which red/paint did they find was the best match?

I have fitted new rear calipers so only need to paint the carriers, so need something thats a close match.

any ideas??

Last edited:

t121anf

May 14, 2004
If you are looking for just a coating I recommend Paige Power Coaters in Washington, done a few bike wheels for me and other bike parts always spot on.

They don't refurb though as they a coaters, do gates, industrial parts etc.

Only £30 a wheel (single colour)

chr1sd

Mar 16, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ordered Some Red Brake Caliper paint and the colour was a mile off the original. Dug around in my garage and found some paint i had mixed up for my Colorado Red Focus. Bingo, its actually pretty much a perfect match.

A before and after. Should make a massive difference once i get the alloys done.
20150327_110933_resized_zps9urec1cn.jpg

20150327_121258_resized_1_zpsib84mnew.jpg

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
Ordered Some Red Brake Caliper paint and the colour was a mile off the original. Dug around in my garage and found some paint i had mixed up for my Colorado Red Focus. Bingo, its actually pretty much a perfect match.

A before and after. Should make a massive difference once i get the alloys done.
20150327_110933_resized_zps9urec1cn.jpg

20150327_121258_resized_1_zpsib84mnew.jpg

Will that paint come off the disc surface ?

chr1sd

Mar 16, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Will that paint come off the disc surface ?

Came off within a few mins of driving. You get a better finish when you spray them rather than paint with a brush as the brake pads rub off the paint leaving the rest fully covered.

I just cut a decent size bit of cardboard and wedge it between the disc and disc gaurd, plastic bag over the brake caliper, then spray 1/4 disc at a time, rotate and spray the next section.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Let's just be clear that this is NOT recommended.
The paint will get into your brake compound. If you want to do it this way, do it just before changing your brake pads

chr1sd

Mar 16, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Let's just be clear that this is NOT recommended.
The paint will get into your brake compound. If you want to do it this way, do it just before changing your brake pads

Agree, its sensible to say this . However, the discs came with anti-corrosion paint on them to start with, as do a lot of discs these days. I sprayed the edge of the disc and the hub centre, so the amount of paint overspray on the disc surface was minimal and certainly less than the paint that the discs came with. I certainly wouldnt suggest spraying 2-3 coats of hammerite over the disc surface lol. I assumed that would be common sense :whistle:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.