New shocks but what else?

Having just backed off from selling my cupra for a 350z, I've decided to pump cash back into the Leon for a new lease of life! Maybe a stage 1 remap at some point........

I want to replace the original suspension as it creaks, squeaks and knocks. I want the original (or near original) ride height with more comfort and have decided on some Bilstein B4 shocks/dampers all round.

I've never had any suspension replaced on a car before and I know of things like powerflex's poly bushes but I've no idea what I should get also get replaced while having new shocks put in. Are springs going to make a huge difference?

I found a set up being discussed on a forum which sounded good but a bit excessive:

New Bilstein B4 Sport dampers and Eibach springs (£300+)
New Powerflex front top mounts, wishbone bushes and engine mount bush (£150+)
New oe quality rear top mounts

Could someone point me towards the general things I should replace while work is being done i these areas?

Cheers

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
In an ideal world you would replace all bushes while you are at it but top mounts are usually recommended if you have the suspension being replaced

Thanks,

Being a 2001 AUQ - does anyone know if my car will have pressed steel or cast wishbones, or will I have to just compare pictures and check mine?

I'll definitely go for top mounts all round. Is there much labour involved in doing all wishbones and mounts etc?

Anyone recommend springs too?

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
Had the vogtland kit for about 2 years now, got it from DPM performance too.

I have a cupra, and went for the 50front/30mm rear setup.

been good to me so far, wish id gone for the 50 mm rears also tho.

Well I have been reading the vogtland reviews and while they are apparently good quality and value for money, not many people mentioned the ride comfort increasing much. Have bought set a of Bilstein B4 shocks and the below Powerflex bushes

Ref: 1 - Front Wishbone Front Bush (2 Bushes) PFF85-201,
Ref: 2 - Front Wishbone Rear Bush (2 Bushes) PFF85-410,
Ref: 7 - Steering Rack Mount Bush (1 Bush) PFF85-416,
Ref: 8 - Front Engine Mount Dog Bone - Petrol Engines (1 Bush)
PFF85-420, Ref: 9 - Front Engine Mount Dog Bone Front Bush (1 Bush)
PFF85-505, Ref: 11 - Front Strut Top Mount Bush (2 Bushes) PFF85-430

Will have to wait until next month to get springs and fitment paid for......

Shocks were £187 and bushes £207........

Why couldn't I find rear top mount bushes?

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
I bought the bilstein b4 sport and eibach pro springs and new OE top mounts on my 2003 cupra AUQ. Ride hight is good it is a lot firmer . I was worried about the ride hight wanted to stick with OE springs but at £60 odd each i gambled on the eibachs.
No issuses with curbs or speed bumps .

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
Top tip: if you want more comfort, dont buy Powerflex topmounts. They will make the ride very harsh! They will also lift your stance by 0.5cm as they are bigger than stock topmounts.

Do note: the ride characteristics will improve with the Powerflex top mounts though.

[edit]
You cant get uprated topmounts for the rear shocks as the bearing and topmount is one unit.

Powerflex Top Mount by ND-Photo.nl, on Flickr

Powerflex Top Mount vs OEM by ND-Photo.nl, on Flickr

Last edited:

rocky

Jan 2, 2015
Think he means a nose down stance instead of being a level drop all round

Earn it, Spend it

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.