TFSI revving up and down itself

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Hi all,

Have done a search for this topic but there's alot of different information on here (some saying PCV recirculation valve, some saying MAF sensor, some saying EGR valve).

Problem I'm having is that yesterday, the car just start revving itself, I first noticed it when idle, it'd jump from 1000rpm to 1500rpm and back down again in a constant cycle.. i'd drive it a little (it'd still rev itself while driving so I had to make sure I wasnt in gear at traffic lights etc), then it'd go from 1 to 2... 1 to 1.5.. and just doesn't stop.

Any ideas on what it could be??

No error codes are coming up either

Thanks

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Think it is your PCV valve mate,if you take the hose off that comes out of the connection that has the elbow bit, and are able to blow down it she will need replacing.

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Cheers guys, i'll have a look tomorrow. I think I heard the engine rattling a bit louder than usual.. will keep you updated! Is the PCV valve much to replace?? Is it a DIY job?

aaronb84

Feb 25, 2013
Brighton
Easy DIY job. Get the latest revision from Dave @ Sere. Can't remember the cost now but it was less than £50 iirc

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Before shelling out for a PCV (which is also a plausible cause) it could simply be a split, broken or loose pipe.

Check all your pipes for leaks, if you can't detect anything, I would recommend getting it smoke tested as that should show up any leaks.

My old Mk2 Cupra had the same symptoms, made it run horrible, idle lurching up and down and it would stall too. Turned out to be a small (hard plastic pipe near the recirc valve) it had just split. As soon as it was replaced problem was sorted.

If you find something as we did, a short term fix until you get a replacement, wrap some insulation tape around it to seal the leak.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
i had this exact prpblem a couple months ago on my cupra. it was the front pcv valve. i even have a video of it revving itself if you want to compare ?

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
i had this exact prpblem a couple months ago on my cupra. it was the front pcv valve. i even have a video of it revving itself if you want to compare ?

Hi mate, that'd be brilliant, is it on youtube?

Cars still doing the same today... when I first start it, its fine but once I drive and then stop/stay idle it comes back straight away.

I had a look for any split/torn leads but couldn't really see anything (to be honest, I didnt really know where to look).

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
im just putting it on photobucket now and will upload it to this.. im 99.9% sure itll be your pcv. but obviously cant guarentee. just have to look at my video and see if its similar. will upload shortly.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
quick note. the revs to 4k was me to show it levelling to 1.5k and rising and dropping by its own .. the cars not got a mind of its own lol :)

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
its obviously not ideal but i wouldnt leave it too long as mine started to make the rocker cover weap as the boost was passing back up through the wrong way in my pcv.

what i done for a couple of days was dissconect the pipe that runs from the pcv to the inlet at the inlet end and blocked the port on the manifold off with a small piece of tube and a bung and let the pcv vent to atmosphere. it worked fine for me untill the pcv arrived. but ultimately its upto you mate.

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Hi chaps, thanks for the brilliant advice, turns out that it was the PCV valve after all. I read on a thread here that if you leave your car running and open the engine oil cap, if it sucks the cap in, then it's definitely the PCV.

Done that this morning and result, it was sucking it in. So I got hold of a PCV valve from my local TPS (£38 inc. VAT) and changed it. Very easy to change, took off the engine cover (hardest part of it all), seen the PCV valve right under the coil packs, took the 4 x Torx 25 screws off, along with the two hoses on the right of the PCV and changed it.

The gasket and screws were all OK so I didn't change any of them, just the valve.

The old valve looked like this:

1zq5ycy.jpg

Looks like theres some sludge in there which caused the problem! Anyways, all good to go, took me about 20 minutes to do.

PS.. if anyone needs the part numbers, see below:

PCV valve for 2.0TFSI Petrol - 06F129101R (Revision R)
PCV gasket - 06F103483-F
PCV valve retaining screws (Torx 25) - N90905902

I also took a very handy picture from the TPS system (when they weren't looking) to show exactly where it is (18 is the PCV valve, 19 is the gasket and 20 are the screws):

30c7sjq.jpg

Last edited:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Hi chaps, thanks for the brilliant advice, turns out that it was the PCV valve after all. I read on a thread here that if you leave your car running and open the engine oil cap, if it sucks the cap in, then it's definitely the PCV.

Done that this morning and result, it was sucking it in. So I got hold of a PCV valve from my local TPS (£38 inc. VAT) and changed it. Very easy to change, took off the engine cover (hardest part of it all), seen the PCV valve right under the coil packs, took the 4 x Torx 25 screws off, along with the two hoses on the right of the PCV and changed it.

The gasket and screws were all OK so I didn't change any of them, just the valve.

The old valve looked like this:

1zq5ycy.jpg

Looks like theres some sludge in there which caused the problem! Anyways, all good to go, took me about 20 minutes to do.

PS.. if anyone needs the part numbers, see below:

PCV valve for 2.0TFSI Petrol - 06F129101R (Revision R)
PCV gasket - 06F103483-F
PCV valve retaining screws (Torx 25) - N90905902

I also took a very handy picture from the TPS system (when they weren't looking) to show exactly where it is (18 is the PCV valve, 19 is the gasket and 20 are the screws):

30c7sjq.jpg

Happy days glad you got her sorted fella ;)