is this mean to rust? (stainless exhaust) pic

jamiea69

Jul 10, 2011
bristol
inspecting my exhaust the other noticed surface rust and corrosion on my stainless steel exhaust made by infinity. Now you gotta expect some corrosion but not after less than a year? what you guys think?

IMG_1810.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

IMG_1812.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]]

IMG_1813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1814.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
Low grade stainless steel. Most off the shelf exhausts end up like that. Nothing to worry about, no going anywhere in a hurry!

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Stainless steel still contains iron and ironing is what rusts. The higher the grade stainless the less iron content present so in other words yes stainless will and can still rust unless of the highest grade which even miltec don't use.

jamiea69

Jul 10, 2011
bristol
When i rang up the bloke on the phone completely denied the fact, that there would be any rust on there anyway. didnt sound interested and was really abrubt, basically calling me a liar.
i wouldnt recomend Infinity exhausts to anyone in the future.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Not really the customer service you want is it. You live an learn i guess, I've no personal experience but BCS always seem to have good things said about them.

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
I'd say, in the last pic, that flange is not s/steel.

Was just about to say the same Andy, without a doubt the flange is mild steel.Miltek have a similar design from what I've seen.

That's why I'm spending my money at BCS as its 100% stainless and of good quality.

Yes it will corrode over time but not half as bad as this system has.

As has been mentioned I'd send him the images mate as for its age that is not acceptable IMO.

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
As far as i know all exhausts are made of 304 grade stainless which will rust in time. External stainless is usual 316 grade which will not rust. My milltek is 304. I use 316 stainless on handrails at work. The flange is not stainless. The weld appears to be done with a stainless filler wire. I would not be happy with the look of your exhaust regardless of what grade it is. I think you should take it back and show them mate.

jamiea69

Jul 10, 2011
bristol
i had sent the pictures, and he relied yesterday with this.

"Hi Jamie,

The pictures of the tailpipe you show are actually carbon deposit which has
exited from the exhaust itself, because the tip has not been cleaned it has
discoloured the metal itself (rust isn't black). The other pictures of the
pipework are actually where grime had come up off the road and bedded into
the stainless itself. T304 stainless which we use is very high grade with
very low iron content, so as I said on the phone it won't rust. However
Stainless will never stay shiny if it's not looked after, it will corrode/
discolour especially in the winter with grit on the road. The best way to
bring it back to make it shine is to use autosol metal polish, which if you
came in is all we would use along with some wire wool and a scotch pad to
bring it back."

i do understand that, just dint expect this after 9 months use. my oem looked better after 8 years haha

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
In fairness the guy does have a point, you do need to clean it or its not going to look good, especially with all the crap on the roads and the bad weather conditions we have here.

I think his reply is pretty fair and having looked twice at your pictures (can be hard to see on a phone screen) i do think most of that could be brought back with some elbow grease.

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise