Limp mode???

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
Hi, me again! Ok so nice and sunny today so ventured out in the car got to the motorway gets into the over taking lane gives the car a hurry up to get up to speed and there was an odd sensation, not like anything was broke, but it soon became apparent the car was in 'limp mode' if I pressed the accelerator nothing happened? Just a slight rev and the car was restricting itself to 45/50 mph? anyway we plod back home with seemingly no problems other than the car seems to be in limp mode, so the wife takes the other car I stay at home to check things out. So first thing i check the engine bay, no water loss, no oil loss, clean water and oil, no funny smells or sounds so I take it around the block a few times and the car running fine? I give it a slight blip on the accelerator and still fine? so then I thought id take it up dual carriage way. So I give it some! And sure enough it returned to limp mode? Pulls up in parking area turn engine off, start up and limp mode gone again, on way home I give gentle blips and fine, only seems to be when really make her move, but still no thrashing or anything? Anyway so has anyone got any ideas???

Last edited:

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
:cry: Ah time to take another bloody trip back to the bloody garage to bloody plug it in me thinks?hoping its a simple fix we'll see.

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Does it do it at about 2000 to 2500 rpm when pulling or accelerating? Ours goes into limp mode when going up hill or towing but above 2500 rpm and below 2000rpm it seems OK.. Not sure what it is but it had been diagnosed with an under boost fault. But we never got it fixed although it may need a new actuator or just some adjustment as it is fine above and below those RPM.

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
No it's absolutely fine at normal revs, it's only when I ask for roughly 80/90% power it does it. So when I drive outside normal conditions, hills are fine, she eats hills no probs, whatever the issue only seems to be when accelerating hard through the gears up to motorway speeds, if i take it out and drive to a medium speed it's fine.

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
Well I'm taking it to garage ASAP could be n75 valve? I don't kno? Could be leak?

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
I've never towed, as when I bought the car Seats recomendation is that the six speed DSG doesn't tow?

Last edited:

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
@morepower, does yours do it every time time you do 2500rpm up a hill or working hard etc? Just took mine out, driving medium to brisk and it was fine , so on way back I put boot down 3800 rpm and limp mode kicks in, so I then pull over re start and gone . I again put boot down and fine!?? I repeat this up and down the dual carriage way five times for about fifteen mins, and fine!? No limp mode, I even took her up to 100mph and fine, I don't normally drive this hard just testing things ;)but I've booked in today so we'll see. So I suppose what I'm asking is it an intermittent problem?

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
Ok so back from dealer, problem was over boost, they made a few tweaks nd said should be fine. he also said turbo was good clean ect, however he did recommend occasional use of a diesel cleaner to blow off general soot nd carbon. He mentioned the solenoid, but it seems to be ok so just tweaked the turbo. He explained via the print out, my mind just about kept in touch. The solenoid is regulating the boost, he said a little over boost is fine we just had too much so it was registering a fault, he explained what he did to rectify this, but I won't try and repeat his explainstion :)

Last edited:

Rich07

Feb 15, 2015
£80- diagnostics, adjustment and also included some diesel
cleaner I nabbed. They had car about hour and a quarter, and they even washed the car for me :)

Last edited:

yorkshire93

Mar 1, 2016
@rich07 my car at the moment has kind of the same issue apart from my car won't leave limp mode. I have took it to garage came up with the over boost. No pipes blown off. Maf is OK vaxcum is fine. Turbo does work when tested manually on the ramps. We replace boost map sensor and boost solenoid. Still no joy. Can you give us a clue on how you fixed got big journey is less than two weeks!!

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Mine was underboost issues. Not overboost.. I ended up buying a new inlet manifold from Darkside developments which is actually an alloy 140bhp motor manifold. It works a treat now. No issues and it feels so much better. I know some have done this with the motor in other cars as I have not seen any posts about it here. But for less than £200 compared to a new plastic manifold from Seat at £600 plus fitting.. It was a bargain.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members