Cupra 280 Nurburgring Nordschleife 7 min 59.501 BtG

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
Just a quick write up of the weekend.

Travelled down on the Friday morning with 4 other cars through the tunnel and it was typical bank holiday traffic, packed. We didn't get into Nurburg until around 1800 but the traffic from Kar Freitag was around so plenty to see. Went out for a slow sighting lap that was it. A few beers and steak in the evening then bed.

Saturday morning was cold, around -2 C. Then it snowed a lot! So we made the decision to go to Schumachers around 90kms away. Completed 5 session and came out to see the weather changing for the better so we got a move on to the 'ring. Everybody else had the same idea so went out for another couple of laps, loads of traffic nothing special. Again, a few beers, steak and bed.

Sunday was a different day, beautiful sunshine all day so got out on track and completed many laps getting quicker. This is the first time i've really pushed the 280 and there was plenty more to come and finished with a 8 min 06. A few beers in the evening and a look at the Go pro and I was ready for the Monday.

Monday was chilly but sunny and dry. Completed a sighting lap, a warm up lap and then went for it. I knew that this was my best chance since the weather was going to close in around midday and it was clear.

The lap was pretty good but ran wide just before T13, a bit sloppy through Adenauer-Forst and got held up a bit through Pflantzgarten 2. Probably could of gone a few seconds faster but I was going pretty much as fast as I and I think the car will go.

I was wearing Michelin Cup 2 on BBS but the rest was standard. I didn't take any weight out, left the amp and spare tyre in.

Ended up with a 7 min 59.501 BtG. Happy with that but there is still time to get. I completed 20 laps total over the weekend.

Great weekend, although incredibly busy in Calais on the way home. Can't wait til June/July when I go next. Definitely a great car but the seats are woeful, maybe Seat bucket seats would be better?!? Also, the 'ring is a power circuit so maybe a REVO remap would be on the cards.

Below is the lap. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIYTODhschE

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Don't have time to watch the lap just yet but certainly will when I get home later. Under 8 minutes is incredible!

I saw on the bridge to gantry website how horrendous the traffic was on the weekend. Hopefully it may be a little better when I go in May, unlikely though.

I'll be over the moon if I break under 9!

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
If you're going on either of the two bank holidays it will be packed.

I would suggest you turn up to the car park about 10 mins before opening. I set my quick laps around 08:30 AM and it was still clear.

The car is surprisingly quick, on the move it seems to be almost identical straight line performance to the E46 M3 out there, maybe even slightly quicker.

I did read in Evo mag their test 280 was pretty nippy in the recent Hot Hatch group test and it did seem that mine does have a bit more poke than 276bhp, although its standard.

A surprisingly quick car especially through the corners, really holds on and the dif works really well in the dry.

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
Thanks mate, I know there's more time but its the law of diminishing returns now.

Unless I really get it all perfect with no traffic I won't be going much faster than that in standard spec.

I think a big brake upgrade is a must, my standard items are looking worse for wear. Also decent seats so I don't roll around in the car like I'm on a boat and some more power.

The next goal is a sub 7 min 45!:D

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
This time I stayed in the Tiergarten which is like a cross between a hostel and a hotel. Its cheap, friendly and has a decent breakfast. It cost me £106 for 3 nights sharing a 4 man room. Its also connected to the Pistenklause restaurant. Only has an outside carpark.

I usually stay at the Dorint Am Nurburgring because I like having a balcony on the start/finish start of the GP circuit and hearing the cars in the morning. Expensive though, I think it cost me £80 per night last time for a 2 man room but its got an underground carpark and bar etc.

I would go back to the Tiergarten since its all about the track for me, especially when in a weekend I usually do 20 odd laps and a 25 lap ticket costs €518 then add fuel its bloody expensive!

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
i've asked about this before but didn't get much feedback, what would you expect to spend on a trackday/nurburgring for a day of it?
in terms of cost for the circuit, fuel, tyres (assuming it buggers ya tyres up) anything else?
would really like to go but i think it sounds like something for the upper echelons of the society to be able to afford on a whim.

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
The last time I visited I camped at Camp Am Nurburgring but the only downside was you could hear the cars on the track. The previous times I have been I stayed at Hotel Willenhamshoe which has a lovely breakfast and rooms. Did you manage to find the place for Steak on a stone and the local pizza place which is next to the BMW dealer close by? That is a lovely place to eat. You can do it on a budget or you can easily spend £500 you are right there.

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
i've asked about this before but didn't get much feedback, what would you expect to spend on a trackday/nurburgring for a day of it?
in terms of cost for the circuit, fuel, tyres (assuming it buggers ya tyres up) anything else?
would really like to go but i think it sounds like something for the upper echelons of the society to be able to afford on a whim.

Last time I went round the track and did 4 laps with fuel, camping and fuel and crossing it cost little more than £180 and that was in my Ibiza FR and not thrashing it around the track. Depends what you want to do really. I did not mess up any of my tyres as I took it steady.

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Cracking video. Thanks for sharing it. After it had finished an video from Autocar with the Golf R and the Cupra was next. That was interesting too. Can't include the link as I'm still a newbie.

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
The costs roughly break down for me as follows-

Eurotunnel return around £120
Hotel 3 nights £200 max dependant on hotel, probably less
25 lap ticket £390
Fuel inclusive of travel x 8 fill ups £400
Food £60
Total roughly £1170

That is for 25 laps so quite expensive, if you had 9 lap ticket with appropriate fuel i'd guess you could take £400 off of that so around £770.

All a guestimate though.

Thanks for the compliments, shame it wasn't a perfect lap but I suppose that's almost like trying to find a unicorn.

Last edited:

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
Yeah, its a damn shame about your car. I'm sorry to read all the trouble you had, its partly why I haven't put a REVO map on mine in fear of the turbo going.

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Wow. That was brilliant. Well done. I would love to do it. Maybe one day.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Yeah, its a damn shame about your car. I'm sorry to read all the trouble you had, its partly why I haven't put a REVO map on mine in fear of the turbo going.

Thank you, I fully understand your view but maybe this will help. Ironically my Cupra lived by far the easiest life of any car I've owned. All I can say is I have remapped most of the supercharged/turbocharged cars I've owned (didn't remap the R26.R no need) and never had any problems - other than extra consumables like tyres/brakes etc but that comes with the territory. In a way it's quite scary how much track/launch control (100+ launches easily) stick I gave my mapped RS3 when even standard cars suffered drive shaft failures. That would have been one expensive failure but nothing happened.

I think it's worth keeping my failure in perspective (more difficult from my view believe me) I've only read about 2 Golf R, 2 S3 and 2 Cupra failures out of a few thousand UK cars with this engine. As science says statistically not significant - unless you happen to be the statistic of course!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members