1.9tdi problem

silvereik

Dec 25, 2014
my mk1 leon 1.9tdi (2002, 81kw, 200000km) sometime takes long time to start. In the morning and when engine hot theres no problem but when i drive and after that sitting 4-8 hours hard to start. Cranks fine but doesnt start. After 2-3 attamps starts.

No codes, new temp sender, glowplugs work. dunno about maf, when disconnecting maf its worse, then i guess maf is working.

Also white smoke from exhaust when not starting and when its starting feels like one/two pistons fire first and litte delay then another ones start to work, rpm gain slowly to 1000

sry for my bad english

silvereik

Dec 25, 2014
okei, i adjusted pump and my timings are now good, need to just wait and look that are my problems gone or not. Cam sensor is good thing to change next. There is not much things to check nomore :D if timingi doesnt fix it or cam sensor, need to start look at nozzels, maybe fuel termostat/valve whats sitting on fuel filter.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The valve sitting on the fuel filter is unlikely to be the problem, as it is only there to allow hot returned fuel to mix with cold fuel in the filter during a start from cold, to reduce the viscosity.

I suppose that if it is stuck open then the fuel might be getting too hot, but I'm not sure what that would do.

There is a fuel temperature sensor inside the distributor pump, which may be faulty and always sending a high fuel temp? Not sure if this would cause the problems you describe though