TCS Button

ayster

Mar 4, 2015
Manchester, UK
yeah traction saps the power (or applys the brake, depending on the system) to avoid things like spinning the wheels and esp stops your car from spinning or flipping when doing sharp turns at speed. some pretty cool vids on youtube showing esp on and off and what happens.

Cool, thanks for that :)

schofier

Aug 16, 2014
Southampton
So curiosity got the better of me and must confess hadn't really noticed the button before. Quick press enables ESC sport mode. Long press turns ESC off.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
maybe those with the button could post a photo showing it so those who havent found/got it can see for reference?

fwiw, mines 64 plate (although i suspect its an earlier build as didnt have the 280 logo) and don't think i have it. although i think i have a light on the middle panel saying about it. don't think its a button tho

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
maybe those with the button could post a photo showing it so those who havent found/got it can see for reference?

fwiw, mines 64 plate (although i suspect its an earlier build as didnt have the 280 logo) and don't think i have it. although i think i have a light on the middle panel saying about it. don't think its a button tho

centerconsole1.png

last button on right, top row.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Prob a MY15 change... just like the MY16 sounds like it might get some more toys.

It is pretty useful when approaching a busy junction or preparing an overtake to be able to switch it off and on again quickly.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Is there any correlation between dsg & manual cars ? Ours is a 64 plate 5 door manual built around July/August 14. Also washer bottle is on passenger side, no headlamp washers.
Edit : Just checked and build was November 14.:doh: and it has a button

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
time to own up - was trying to get up a snowy hill in my old merc and it just ground to a halt.
then I turned OFF the ESP/TCS system, the drive re-engaged and off I went!
Forgot that it detects wheelspin and takes power away from spinning wheel. Useless when BOTH driving wheels are spinning!
DOH.....

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Can be turned on/off via the infotainment system though, so no real need for a button:

Car > Car Setup: > ESC

Mine is a Dec '13, headlight washers, reservoir on passenger side, no TCS button. There's no real pattern to the bottle side/washers/TCS mystery!

I'm fairly sure my 63 plate 5dr had the button (150 FR).

Last edited:

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
Well switched TCS off saturday through the screen as i have no button and tried the launch control. Never again lol. The wheelhop i experienced was unbelievable,I thought the drive shafts were about to pop. Get better launches letting the car creep and nailing it to be honest.

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
What tires you are on?
My Brigdestone's on my 280 are wore down to less than 4 millimiter and wheelhop is a nightmare with these tires regardsless wet or dry.
Will let them refit when they are gone for Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyears F1 Assymetric2 then for sure the wheelhop is gone.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
Well switched TCS off saturday through the screen as i have no button and tried the launch control. Never again lol. The wheelhop i experienced was unbelievable,I thought the drive shafts were about to pop. Get better launches letting the car creep and nailing it to be honest.

just tried the same this afternoon for the first time. switched ESP off in its various modes and when putting foot down it juddered so badly. manual car and did it when already moving rather than a standing start. is this normal? the car totally wants to go but can't. i'm pretty sucky when it comes to cars and how they work. what is causing this presumable "wheelhopping" ? is there anything i can do to improve this (other than turning ESP back on)

Last edited:

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
ok. i'm still on the bridgestones i had when i bought the car. have a fair bit of tread on them left. will look into alternatives when it is time. I presume its only the front tyres which I need to worry about replacing to get around this issue?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.