New or recon turbo?

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
Hello,

I have a TDi 130 and the siren noise from the turbo is still present and Awesome advised a replacement. What do you guys recommend? A brand new turbo or recon turbo?

Anyone had a new/recon turbo fitted recently and can recommend a reliable place to get it done?

Finally, what kind of prices am I looking at?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
To be honest my opinion would be to go brand new as opposed to reconditioned but then again it depends if all the parts for the reconditioned one are new? It's cheaper to get reconditioned from what I know of though.

When my turbo seized I had to get a new turbo, I was a little annoyed to find out recently that it was remanufactured as opposed to being a brand new OEM turbo as to which I was told about. Reason being is some remappers won't touch a turbo unless it is the genuine OEM replacement turbo or the original turbo, since recons aren't always set up to the manufacturers standards (this being a VNT turbo from what I gather and was told).

If money permits, as said, my choice is definitely to go brand new, just make sure you go to a reputable company. I can't personally recommend any to you as I'm unsure though I tend to see BNT Turbo pop up from searches, might be worth waiting to see if anyone else crops up with information on this though?

Sorry I can't be of more use to you than this mate... Hope you manage to settle your thoughts :)

--Lee

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
Yeah, I am leaning towards new too.

Awesome have quoted £1104 for a new turbo (they said that it will be a new turbo anyway' new oil feed pipe and oil change too.

AMD have quoted close to £1400 for the same thing.

Spoken to Turbo Technics but didn't get a full quote but am still trawling the web for options.

Thanks for your input!!

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Any time mate, I had mine done the work and turbo in total cost me £744, turbo was £620.

Though I've got to find out information on mine as I was originally told it would be a brand new replacement, though recently found out that it wasn't from ITS Turbos which the mechanic said he uses all the time from and only deals with brand new units. So in turn found out mind was remanufactured. I'm unsure as to whether reconditioned and remanufacted are the same thing or not, but either way it annoyed me that I was told I'd be using a brand new turbo from ITS Turbos to find out I didn't get that. Though the mechanic stated that if you're having problems you've got 12 months warranty still on it.

Hopefully you can get yours done properly and if you haven't got your car remapped yet, I would highly suggest making sure you go OEM replacement, will cost more but at least you know your ECU will be having the right communication to the turbo! :)

--Lee

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
Right...got a response from Darkside Development.

They have quoted me £960 (inc VAT) for supplying a Garret GT1749VA turbo, which is a direct replacement, and fitting with all the ancillaries (oil feed pipe, oil, oil filter and gaskets).

Or...

I can get the GT1749VB, which is the bolt on upgrade from the TDi150, plus a remap for an additional £300 (inc VAT). This will ultimately lead to the car needing a new clutch due to the increase in power/torque.

Any opinions or thoughts?

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
well I'm biased towards darkside developments. it's whatever you feel happy with that matters.

What have you had done at Darkside?

Personally, I am leaning towards the 130 turbo as I have no desire to modify it any further for more power. The quoted 170bhp and performance is ample for me.

Think I will settle and get it booked in soon although I know that their workshop is currently being built.

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
sorry, ive only bought stuff from darkside. HFLO-X Race Nozzles 0.216, maf sensor, silicone 90degree bend hose. anyways yep theres probably going to be a bit of waiting list but from what they post up on their facebook page they have real good customer service.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Got mine off turbo technics 15k ago and had no problems, Milltek cat back and cold air feed on mine and I'm not light with my right foot.

They told me it was remanufactured (GT1749vb) and that they only do genuine Garret remanufactured as they're not made brand new any more...that's what they told me anyway.

I don't imagine Darkside would do bad work, depends on your budget I suppose but that's not a bad fitting price, took me a whole weekend to do the turbo change in my neighbours garage with pit.

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
Got mine off turbo technics 15k ago and had no problems, Milltek cat back and cold air feed on mine and I'm not light with my right foot.

They told me it was remanufactured (GT1749vb) and that they only do genuine Garret remanufactured as they're not made brand new any more...that's what they told me anyway.

I don't imagine Darkside would do bad work, depends on your budget I suppose but that's not a bad fitting price, took me a whole weekend to do the turbo change in my neighbours garage with pit.

I rang Turbo Technics and they were very helpful. However, their prices were a bit on the steep side.

A proper recon one will be fine.

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk

Speak to George.....

What experience have you had with Turbo Development? I am tempted to go down this route as it will Save in the wait but I will have to buy the gaskets/oil feed separately and find a decent garage to do the work.

Decisions!!

Thanks for all of the input!