New wrx sti test drive!!

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Hey guys n girls!! Just had a drive In Subaru's latest toy! Fantastic looking car, very fast, interior is amazing compared to the previous attempts, big improvement! However, not since a run I had in an evo have I came across a car with as much lag!! Your either driving the nuts off it! Or your driving like grandma, there ain't no in-between! For almost 30k id rather have a golf R. Anyone else had a spin in one?

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
Not new, but test drove a 08 Impreza STI hatch last week. To be honest I didn't find it that laggy, certainly more than my LCR but not unbearable.

And another comparison is the Merc A45 AMG, very little lag on them despite the massive turbo and 355bhp. But that is down to the twin scroll design.

Mark One

Mar 4, 2009
Silverstone
New Impreza are still a port injected engine. The lack of direct injection means no scavenging to spool the turbo sooner. AMG, Golf R are all direct injection

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Don't get me wrong, when I say its got lots of lag what I mean is more than it should for a 2.5l turbo charged engine! It has really nothing below 3000rpm, my lcr is pretty much at peak boost by then, but when it does start to spool up, its a whiplash inducing Massive surge of power! The engine is basically a remapped version of the old 2.5l turbo in the impreza! The evo I was talking about was the fq400, I persuaded the gf to go shopping in Belfast that day, dropped her off and headed to the only dealership at that time that had one in!lol

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Well the turbo on the FQ400 is quite big so it's not surprising that when it does come in you notice it :)

What you're describing though isn't lag, that's the boost threshold.

Lag is when you're in the sweet spot, you bury your foot and nothing happens for a bit, then, bang! Your off.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.