Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
So it'll be on a Q plate....it's still going to be far more valuable than a run of the mill S3 big turbo project or 4Mo with a 1.8t lump in it!

With the amount of work, time and precision you've put in this deserves to be on the road with you behind the wheel!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I would just put it through the test and see how it gets on? Then you can fill in the gaps... If you're not in a hurry then surely it needs seeing through :)

Dec 19, 2006
Been following this since the beginning and truly gutted it might come to an end and it's not even my car, what sort of costs would you be looking at to put it through the IVA tests?
You've ploughed so much money, time and effort into it and it's amazing the skills you have, have you looked into how much it'll cost to get it fully finished?
Would have thought it be cheaper to get it finished at least drive it some where private and then see what comes of an IVA test? Surely loads of builds that people have done haven't got receipts for everything and all the pictures you've taken should be good enough documentation for the standard of welds etc etc.

Either way make sure you do what you want and it's the right thing for you.

Fingers crossed you can finish it :)

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
That sucks!! How is what you have done (cut a whole in the boot floor) any different to cutting out old rusty sills for example and replacing them?? Ludicrous! Definatley should persevere bud!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Wow thanks for the overwhelming support to finish it......really appreciate it.

So i've been doing more research and maybe it wouldn't be as bad as i first thought, i think there are some area's that i'll have to sort out namely airbags / seat belts so i could just fit OEM ones to get it through the IVA.

Probably have to provide loads of photo's but i did take loads along the way (what i uploaded was only a small fraction of the ones i took) so that would help.

The more i read the more it looks like if OEM parts are used then because they come from a "approved" OEM design then they are not an issue.

The whole modifying of the monocoque shell may also be open to the inspectors discretion as the parts used to modify it are again from a OEM approved vehicle..... could almost be classed as a "repair".... but i'm not holding my breath on that one.

I'll have to contact the breakers yard i bought the S3 half shell from to see if they still have records, and also for the engine block i bought from them.

SO after a few days of pondering on what to do i think i HAVE to finish it... ok it's gonna be a lot more work then bolting a few bits onto a s3 or tt but i think it'll be truly unique.
Sorry for the false alarm, but to be honest if you all hadn't supported me i think i would have binned it and started fresh, for all the support i'm truly grateful.

Many Thanks,

Graham.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire

So i've been doing more research and maybe it wouldn't be as bad as i first thought, i think there are some area's that i'll have to sort out namely airbags / seat belts so i could just fit OEM ones to get it through the IVA.

Probably have to provide loads of photo's but i did take loads along the way (what i uploaded was only a small fraction of the ones i took) so that would help.

The more i read the more it looks like if OEM parts are used then because they come from a "approved" OEM design then they are not an issue.

The whole modifying of the monocoque shell may also be open to the inspectors discretion as the parts used to modify it are again from a OEM approved vehicle..... could almost be classed as a "repair".... but i'm not holding my breath on that one.

I'll have to contact the breakers yard i bought the S3 half shell from to see if they still have records, and also for the engine block i bought from them.

SO after a few days of pondering on what to do i think i HAVE to finish it... ok it's gonna be a lot more work then bolting a few bits onto a s3 or tt but i think it'll be truly unique.
Sorry for the false alarm, but to be honest if you all hadn't supported me i think i would have binned it and started fresh, for all the support i'm truly grateful.

Many Thanks,

Graham.

:clap: happy days good decision Graham

I've only just logged back in after nearly a year and read through about 10 pages of updates from you and was shocked when you said you were thinking of stopping the project. I'm glad you're carrying on with it as I'm looking forward to seeing the car running and driving.
I wish i have half the skills you have to be able to do something like this.
Good job! :)

underpressure

Jan 12, 2012
Germany
Good news Graham:thumbup:
Hopefully your hard work isn't for nothing.

But if you have to switch i would go for a S3 8L. They are lighter then a MK4, 1M or 8N and big wheels will fit with the OEM fenders.
Or you switch to a Golf mk5 chassis with the 1.8T engine:clap::rock:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh

Many Thanks,

Graham.

Brilliant news Graham, after all this time it'd be such a shame to see the project canned.

Besides, we'd all have come round and kicked your ass for binning it ;)

Keep up the good work mate :clap:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise