Help!!

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Just picked my car up after 4 week in the paint shop, as I drive home the oil warning light flashed with 3 beeps. It now sounds like a diesel and is struggling to maintain idle. I've pulled over and dropped 2 litres of oil in it to get it home, and it still sounds terrible. How bad am I looking guys from this very vague description?

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Bit more info, the tapping is coming from the top of the engine, and the noise stops, or at least quietens to the point I can't hear it inside, past 2k revs. I've probably driven half a mile like that as I was on a busy A road with no runoff or turn offs... how big a job is oil pump and pick up pipe replacement out of interest?

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Removal of sump to do oil pickup isn't too much of a job. I'd be more worried that oil starvation has damaged something up top, sounds like it may have.

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Out of interest. If I've done damage to the top end , what parts am I looking at replacing??

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Right then, this is more for any future readers. This scenario caused me massive distress over the weekend with the thought of the financial consequences. I'm talking sleepless nights, shakes, etc. I'm not a rich lad and I've a family to think of first.
Got to the garage today after not touching it since Saturday when all the alarms and Knockin rattling lumpy idol etc started. Started it up, sounded horrible, however within 6-8 seconds it returned to sounding normal, although if revs we're raided to 2k, it returned to sounding like a tractor missing a cylinder, indicating that the oil pump was in fact still working and it was only struggling when it really needed to suck. So we put a Forte flush and left it idling for an hour with a close eye on it, drained oil, took sump off. And there it was, pickup pipe sludged to the hilt. Took it off, should've replaced but couldn't get one local for love nor money, so I left it in a bath of brake cleaner while I cleaned the sump out. 20 mins in the cleaner and an air line, it's like new. Refit, new oil, filter, plug an washer, cautiously fired her up. Amazingly no lasting damage!!! Drove ten miles home, eventually grew the balls to give it a boot full, absolutely fine, smooth as feck.
Just thought I'd update for anyone else who's head has fallen off with the posibilities of what might be. For those interested too, oil pump from ECP is £74, pickup pipe from TPS is £11.50. Bare 225 engines start at £499 on eBay. I priced all these options just in case lol. Consider myself extremely lucky.

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Sounds like you've been lucky indeed. I in fact have a BAM engine available but did not want to appear a vulture so didn't say anything. Alls well in the end :D

Last edited: