diy service

zeddyyy

Mar 17, 2015
could someone give me a basic service checklist for a stage 2 mapped lc 180? turbo back exhaust, fmic, tip, induction kit, forge 008?
thanks in advance!

RACK

Oct 22, 2014
Rotherham
Good oil and filter
new plugs
maybe check the oil pick up if it's done a few miles
clean the induction kit
service kit for the 008
Give the pcv pipes a good look over

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Here is a list I put together some time ago from the various service manuals plus experiences related on the forum. The only thing you might want to do on top of this is regular servicing for the Forge valve.

The oil strainer on the bottom of the pickup pipe seems to clog more often on LC/LCR's - I suspect that the engines run hotter than most others and this cooks the jointing compound used to seal the sump/block joint so that any bits squeezed out of the joint crumble and falls into the oil. Two-part answer: 1) check and clean the strainer, especially if you know that the sump has been off and 2) when replacing the sump, run a single continuous 2mm bead of joint compound round the middle of the joint face, making semicircles just inside each of the boltholes, and tighten the sump bolts carefully (alternate diagonally and end up with the full torque of 15Nm, no more) so as not to squeeze any compound out of the oil side of the joint.

Oil change service every 10K
- change oil and filter
- check brake pads and disks

Full service every 20K or 12 months, whichever comes first
Oil service plus
- change pollen filter
+ check lights, tyres, wipers, "fan belt", toothed belt, steering, driveshaft gaiters
+ levels in gearbox, coolant, hydraulic fluid, power steering, 4wd, screenwasher

Vehicle exterior
- Door retaining straps: grease and lubricate locking pins
- Sun roof: clean and lubricate guides

Not in service schedule but worth doing - lubricate bonnet lock.

Additional items
every 40K,
- change spark plugs (petrol engines)
- change air filter
- change fuel filter (diesel engines)

Not in schedule but worth considering: change HT leads (if you have them)

every 40K or two years
4WD cars, Haldex clutch
- change oil and filter

every 2 years
- change hydraulic fluid

Gearbox oil: VAG gearboxes are "filled for life", a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever I heard one. There is no stated service interval. I've changed mine at around 100K before now.

Every 40K or 4 years
Change fuel filter (petrol engines)

every 60K or 4 years
- change toothed belt (diesel engines)

every 120K or 4 years
- change toothed belt (petrol engines)

When changing the toothed belt consider changing the water pump as well. The pump is driven by the toothed belt and nearly all the cost of changing the water pump on its own is labour to get the toothed belt off and back on without disturbing the timing.

Last edited:

Seat1.6s

May 14, 2015
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to the VAG family, I have only recently purcharced a Leon mk1 1.6 S it need a lot of tic but it has a lot of potential, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever replaced a steering and if my airbag would fit with a mk4 steering wheel if I was to get one.

zeddyyy

Mar 17, 2015
one more thing, what about the fuel filter? you only have it covered for the diesel engines?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Well spotted: It's an interesting point. The petrol fuel filter isn't mentioned in the service schedules, but by its nature as a filter it must need replacing at some stage. The Haynes Golf Mk.4 Manual doesn't mention a service interval for this item either.

In a recent thread, MJ recommended 40K or 4 years and that's good enough for me :) I've added that to the original list and updated the post above to include it.

Last edited:

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
Those numbers are not telling me much since I know nothing about oil.
as long as it says vag 505.01 on the bottle its fine to use, if your not sure i suggest you have a look at the opie oils section as you will find loads of information and previous recommendations, in my old car i used fuchs titan pro race s :D

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I thought most petrol engines has cembelt intervals of 4 years and 50,000 or 60,000 miles definite not 120,000 miles.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Some time ago, David Hawthorne at Sere Motors added a list of relevant petrol engine cambelt intervals, taken from the then-current Seat recommendations. Here's a copy - I'll look for his original post...

TIMING BELT RECOMMENDATIONS

LEON Mk1 / TOLEDO Mk2 AJQ, AGN, APP up to and inc vin 1MZYB - 180,000km, 120k miles

LEON Mk1 / TOLEDO Mk2 AJQ, AGN, APP, APG, AUQ, ARY, AMK, BAM vin 1MZ1R to 1MZ5R - 180,000km, 120k miles

LEON Mk1 / TOLEDO Mk2 1.4, 1.6 MPI all - 90,000km 60k miles (recheck every 30km, 20k miles)

IBIZA Mk4 BBU, BJX, BKV, BLZ all - 180,000km, 120k miles

IBIZA Mk4 ALL EXCEPT BBU, BJX, BKV, BLZ all - 90,000km 60k miles (recheck every 30km, 20k miles)

ALHAMBRA ADY, ATM all - 90,000km 60k miles (recheck every 30km, 20k miles)

ALHAMBRA Mk2 ALL EXCEPT ADY, ATM all - 180,000km, 120k miles

LEON Mk2, TOLEDO Mk3, ALTEA 2.0 FSI, TFSI all - 180,000km, 120k miles

LEON Mk2, TOLEDO Mk3, ALTEA ALL EXCEPT 2.0 FSI, TFSI all - 90,000km 60k miles (recheck every 30km, 20k miles)

IBIZA Mk5 all - 90,000km 60k miles (recheck every 30km, 20k miles)

EXEO 1.6 MPI all - 180,000km (check at 90,000km then every 30,000km)

EXEO ALL EXCEPT 1.6 MPI all - 180,000km, 120k miles

IMPORTANT NOTES
1) Timing belts need replaced every 4 years even if the mileage has not been reached
2) These are guidelines only
3) I have compiled this list myself based on SEAT's guidelines - it is as accurate as possible but human error can and does occur
4) SEAT dont always recommend the tensioner is replaced but we feel it is best practice to fit timing belt kits rather than just belts on their own

5) If in doubt - CONTACT ME !!!!!!! (From David Hawthorne at Sere Motors, [email protected])

EDIT
Dave's original post is here - it's from 2010

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.