Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

99eunsd

Nov 9, 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
so it looks basically like

Built in 2013 - V4 maps
Built in 2014 - V5 maps
Built in 2015 - V6 maps

PFFT, if you guys think you've got it hard, the map version I have is v2!!
Car was registered 4/3/13, so one of the first. It was the salesman's demo car.

Also, rattles a lot more than the 07 Clio I traded in for my Leon which is more than a little disappointing. :(

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
If you purchase the latest maps, you will need have it "paired" with your unit by the dealer.

Really?! When I got v5 I done it myself... Is this just for v6?

Just spoke to seat UK. Its a self install, just plug the card in and you're good to go.

Open to offers for the V5 I have

Last edited:

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
Really?! When I got v5 I done it myself... Is this just for v6?

Just spoke to seat UK. Its a self install, just plug the card in and you're good to go.

Open to offers for the V5 I have

When I bought my car the card had been nicked from the car. They ordered the new card and posted it out to me. It would not install, there is a set of introductions along with the card stating it must be installed with their diagnostic equipment. I called them and they didn't believe me at first, but after looking in to it further they agreed an update to the new map would indeed mean a visit to the dealer. It took approx 15 mins.

TomH01

Dec 30, 2011
Picked my car up 2 weeks ago, brand new and it came with V5 maps, just rang the dealer and explained to them that I want the V6 maps, their reply is that as the car came with the V5 maps they can't do anything about it and I would have to pay £130 to update them. I think an email to Seat UK is on the cards. :(

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Just to add a little confusion - built November 2014, I have V6 maps.

No confusion, November 2014 are the latest maps. I have Mapcare and I downloaded them and installed them. Mine is October 2014 and it came with V5. Just one week later I updated to V6.

schofier

Aug 16, 2014
Southampton
Not that anyone without V6 is missing much. Still hopelessly out of date. For example, keeps trying to send me to a petrol station that hasn't existed for several years.

Similar story in my old VW. 2010 maps failed to acknowledge the existence of my street that was built in 1996.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
mapcare isn't available in the UK it seems.

for what its worth I tried the following on mine (v4 maps i think they are (ECE 2014))
tried to copy all of the updated version as per links in this thread somewhere but it wouldnt accept them on my SD card.
I did a complete byte by byte image of my original SD card and wrote it byte by byte back to another 8gb card i had. system wouldnt read it. (files etc were on there ok)

havent got the balls to write the upgraded files to the original SD card. just in case it stops it from working.

without knowing exactly what it is that the system uses to ensure its the specific card that you're supposed to be using i'm not going to try anything else.

is it putting the cards serial number into the unit so its bound to it? (if so then maybe putting the files overwriting the original files on the correct card will work)
is it a hash (md5/sha1) checksum of some kind? (although the disk imaging should have been ok if that was the case)
is it a combination of both?

I'm assuming that all mapcare does it stop this checking and thats all.

hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of how Seat do this will be able to chime in.

Last edited:

ayster

Mar 4, 2015
Manchester, UK
mapcare isn't available in the UK it seems.

for what its worth I tried the following on mine (v4 maps i think they are (ECE 2014))
tried to copy all of the updated version as per links in this thread somewhere but it wouldnt accept them on my SD card.
I did a complete byte by byte image of my original SD card and wrote it byte by byte back to another 8gb card i had. system wouldnt read it. (files etc were on there ok)

havent got the balls to write the upgraded files to the original SD card. just in case it stops it from working.

without knowing exactly what it is that the system uses to ensure its the specific card that you're supposed to be using i'm not going to try anything else.

is it putting the cards serial number into the unit so its bound to it? (if so then maybe putting the files overwriting the original files on the correct card will work)
is it a hash (md5/sha1) checksum of some kind? (although the disk imaging should have been ok if that was the case)
is it a combination of both?

I'm assuming that all mapcare does it stop this checking and thats all.

hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of how Seat do this will be able to chime in.
Many have tried, all have failed... so far! Really hope somebody can work out whats going on as I dont fancy paying £130 to update my satnav when it needs it.

mckeever1

May 6, 2015
Has anybody installed the may update. Is it just the case of wipe/replace SD card contents with the update files. Can the files be installed on an alternative SD card? prefer to do that than wipe the original as per instructions

xxx.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=SEAT_Media&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I assume you've read this thread and have purchased map care (not available in the UK)?

If you haven't and you do live in the UK, you can't update the SatNav yourself, you must purchase an updated card from Seat for around £110 and have them register it with your car.

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
What a thread. I thought that the built in sat nav (which didn't come free here!) was way too expensive at €700, so I didn't bother. Man, was that ever the right decision!

mckeever1

May 6, 2015
I assume you've read this thread and have purchased map care (not available in the UK)?

If you haven't and you do live in the UK, you can't update the SatNav yourself, you must purchase an updated card from Seat for around £110 and have them register it with your car.
Thanks Jk1. I read most of the thread but not all, typically I missed that bit.

Only had mine for 3 weeks so not fussed on nav being out of date but I've got a problem with no announcements, worked to begin with but now nothing.

I have checked the navigation announcement volume is turned up.

I seen updating the SD card could have been a quick fix but I will have to pop over to dealer.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
<rant>
The more I use the navigation, the more I hate it. It is very slow and unresponsive and on top of that no free updates are provided. And MapCare was not yet available in Bulgaria when I purchased it. I am also very disappointed in the fact the nav/media system doesn't support text messages displaying. It seems newest Leons support that. It's all about software, why am I not eligible for an update at all?! I should buy a new car in order to have text messages diplayed?!? WTF?! It is totally rubbish to spend €20k for a car that contains a cr*ppy navigation unit with the resolution and speed of a nokia phone from 10 years ago that can't be updated and you stay with it until you change the car... If the car industry fails to recognize that we live in times when tablets and smartphones are light years ahead in terms of technology and performance, cost literally pennies, and can be updated freely, then my next car will be the dumbest modification and I will "smartify" it myself.
</rant>

Last edited:

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
<rant>
The more I use the navigation, the more I hate it. It is very slow and unresponsive and on top of that no free updates are provided. And MapCare was not yet available in Bulgaria when I purchased it. I am also very disappointed in the fact the nav/media system doesn't support text messages displaying. It seems newest Leons support that. It's all about software, why am I not eligible for an update at all?! I should buy a new car in order to have text messages diplayed?!? WTF?! It is totally rubbish to spend €20k for a car that contains a cr*ppy navigation unit with the resolution and speed of a nokia phone from 10 years ago that can't be updated and you stay with it until you change the car... If the car industry fails to recognize that we live in times when tablets and smartphones are light years ahead in terms of technology and performance, cost literally pennies, and can be updated freely, then my next car will be the dumbest modification and I will "smartify" it myself.
</rant>

Personally, I like a Sat-Nav that is independent of other instrument displays, I think Seat dashboards are now a distraction in terms of the amount of attention they require in terms of menu selection between functions, but there again I am from the 'old school' that thinks any distraction from what is actually on the road is a potential disaster.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Thanks Jk1. I read most of the thread but not all, typically I missed that bit.

Only had mine for 3 weeks so not fussed on nav being out of date but I've got a problem with no announcements, worked to begin with but now nothing.

I have checked the navigation announcement volume is turned up.

I seen updating the SD card could have been a quick fix but I will have to pop over to dealer.

Someone mentioned in another thread about no announcements. Have you tried turning off your phone (assuming it's paired) sometimes the phone can act as if it's in a call which can mute the announcements.

The other thing to check is that you've not just accidentally turned the volume down. While an announcement is playing the volume control on the steering wheel will control the announcement volume rather than the radio.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
<rant>
</rant>

this is most likely why there is more and more other car related functionality built into the built in satnav/stereo system. the harder they make it to replace in terms of loss of functions and also the fact that the units seem to be verrrry much bespoke fitting to make it flush into dashboard these days means that its much harder to replace.
I was REALLY hoping for a stereo that i could use my android phone for mirrorlink/androidlink so that i would use googlemaps for satnav etc.

i have no idea why manufacturers still seem to include a satnav system that would, in all honesty make a £50 standalone satnav unit from 10 years ago look good. the mind boggles. I used Tomtom on my Windows CE Pocket PC back in about 2002 and that was shedloads better than this.
And that, is very depressing when i've spent £28k on a car 13 years later.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.