DSG Pedal Box

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
Hi guys,

It seems a fairly well documented issue on here that the DSG's can suffer from a bit of delay when first applying pressure on the accelerator when pulling away.

I have the 1.8 tsi DSG and when pulling away from a stand still in normal mode I get a delay of around a second, which has a big impact when trying to quickly nip out of a junction.

Does anyone have any experience with a DTE pedal box with a Leon DSG? Based on reviews pertaining to Golfs there seems to be a whole host of positive reviews. It makes a lot of sense, in my mind, to invest in this relatively cheap piece of kit, if it does make a difference, as I'm sure it would change the whole driving experience and eliminate that uncertainty every time I pull away.

Does anyone have an idea of what the throttle response would be like compared to sport mode?

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
I put the car in Sport mode to overcome the laggy nature of normal mode. No lag at all this way.

Last edited:

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting read jimiC. It does seem like the delay is built in almost as a feature for longevity reasons and isn't actually a fault or issue with the DSG of some kind. I do currently try to wait for the car to edge forward before hitting the accelerator, but the wait is never ideal.

Guari when you put it in sports mode do you also keep the engine setting as S. Or do you have it in sports mode and switch to D?

guari

Nov 17, 2014
I have both the infotainment and the gear stick in sports as I like the rapid response I get from the car this way. However, as long as you have the infotainment either in normal or sport (not eco! ) the real change is in the gear lever.

My kind advice is the moment you predict you might need to enter/exit in a flash, move the stick to S and do whatever manoeuvre you need. That way you'll get almost no lag at all. Or you can just use the car with the stick in sport all the time (as I do) as long as you are OK with the revy nature and and a slightly lower mpg figure.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
By the way, using the car in sport + sport is not for everyone as plenty of people don't enjoy the revy and "undelicate", slightly jerky behaviour of sport. Passengers in particular don't tend to like it. I personally love the car that way.

Remember that most of the difference comes from putting the stick in S as long as the infotainment mode is either in normal or sport..

Last edited:

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
Interesting, I appreciate the advise. That's a good idea - switching to S before pulling away and then back to D. Considering I do that whilst overtaking anyway I can't believe I didn't think about doing that from junctions.

I do a lot of motorway driving so that's why I usually keep it in D, but once again I could just set it to S and then change to D when on the motorway.

How big is the drop in MPG from D to constantly having it in S? If it's not too bad I may leave it in S. Anyhow I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Last edited:

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
By the way, using the car in sport + sport is not for everyone as plenty of people don't enjoy the revy and "undelicate", slightly jerky behaviour of sport. Passengers in particular don't tend to like it. I personally love the car that way.

Remember that most of the difference comes from putting the stick in S as long as the infotainment mode is either in normal or sport..

I personally wouldn't mind Sport + Sport. Certainly more fun. But as I alluded to I don't often set it up like that. Will definitely do a long stint with those settings now. Still interested in your MPG in S vs D.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Interesting, I appreciate the advise. That's a good idea - switching to S before pulling away and then back to D. Considering I do that whilst overtaking anyway I can't believe I didn't think about doing that from junctions.

I do a lot of motorway driving so that's why I usually keep it in D, but once again I could just set it to S and then change to D when on the motorway.

How big is the drop in MPG from D to constantly having it in S? If it's not too bad I may leave it in S. Anyhow I'll give this a go tomorrow.
I do something very similar. If I know I'll enter a motorway then it goes into D for sure as S will hold the car in 6th and in high revs, which is bad for economy. Given that motorways are limited to 70mph, there's no point in using S anyhow... But, in the city, in start stop etc, I will have the car in S 90% of the time.

I'm afraid/ashamed of talking mpg's as I get numbers so low compared to the "theoretical/advertised" numbers to be honest. I'm heavy footed (while remaining within legal speeds of course) but I'm ok with higher consumption.

And it's not that S uses more fuel per se, it's just that the engine is always holding up the gear change and unless you have to brake, you'll need to be constantly in the gas pedal to have the car moving forward ; in other words, the car won't coast smoothly as it does when in N..

Hope you get it figured out, play a bit with the gear and enjoy your car!

Last edited:

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
i've found the mpg difference between modes (slightly worse in my case due to the larger engine) can be 1.5 to 2 l/100km or the difference between 31mpg using S and 40mpg using D

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Just either use the car in manual or come off the brake a bit first if using D mode. I never use sport mode and have no problems pulling away at junctions. Been using DSG for a few years now and once you get used to them they are great.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Just the nature of a DSG, it doesn't use a torque converter but instead mimics that by slipping the clutch when letting of the brakes. This has been documented as the reason why there's a hesitant delay; doing the same with a manual gives you the same 1-2 second delay.

cbcdesign

Feb 5, 2015
It does take some getting used to I must admit. I come from a background of Automatic transmissions in Rovers and Jags followed by a Prius which had a hybrid drive system, was very smooth and pulled away immediately. The DSG works a bit differently and I am finding that the typical feather of the throttle that big Autos favour when pulling away doesn't work so well on the DSG.

I am still finding my feet but being more positive on the throttle once the car starts edging forward after taking my foot of the brake seems to work better.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members