Leon's Driver Profile with DSG

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
I'm considering dropping the flappy paddles from my 'to have' list on a used Leon as they are very rare. It didn't come out as standard until end of 2014 and for some reason not many people opted for the flappy paddle.

I've driven a dsg before and I really liked how in normal driving mode I could downshift quickly if I wanted to. Without the paddles, I would have to first move it slide it to a separate channel (d mode) and push up/down. A quick alternative is to push the dsg gearbox to s which holds onto gears for longer. My question is whether the sports driver profile setting does the same thing? Probably not.

Final question. 1.8 tsi or 2.0 tdi 150ps?, same price at around £16k.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
My wifes car is a dsg with no paddles ... stays in D most of the time cos its just not as nice to drive without them. I sometimes use the gearstick on mine to change gear if im going round a slowish tight corner and cant reach the paddle properly, but its much better with them.

As for sport mode, most useless function invented imho... holds the gears too long at the wrong time, just crap. Flappy paddles or D... simple as that ;)

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
As for sport mode, most useless function invented imho... holds the gears too long at the wrong time, just crap. Flappy paddles or D... simple as that ;)

i've read about improved paddle shift response times using Sport mode... is this correct or correct only for gearboxes with tweaked software or other mod?

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Gear changes are fast anyway, maybe it does do them faster ive not paid much attention as they are always quick.

The sports mode i was referring to was the S mode on the gearbox... its useless for me.

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
Gear changes are fast anyway, maybe it does do them faster ive not paid much attention as they are always quick.

The sports mode i was referring to was the S mode on the gearbox... its useless for me.

I used to love the S mode on my ibiza Cupra...hahah....

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire

ok, i was just wondering because the shifts feel a little more abrupt.

S mode auto, yep i totally agree with that one :)

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
Does anyone know if changing to sports mode via the driver profile will mean the gears are held on for longer?

also, would you choose 1.8 tsi or 2.0 tdi 150psif both are around £16k.

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
I thought all DSG's were paddles?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Does anyone know if changing to sports mode via the driver profile will mean the gears are held on for longer?

also, would you choose 1.8 tsi or 2.0 tdi 150psif both are around £16k.

Yes the mode selected also alter the characteristics of the DSG. Sport mode will hold onto the gears to keep the revs up, Eco mode will allow 'freewheeling' when you aren't pressing the throttle.

1.8TSI vs 2.0 TDI 150 depends on your mileage, type of journeys you are doing and personal preference. If doing very short journeys you may upset the DPF on the tdi.

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
I asked for a second hand seat approved car. a 1.8 FR DSG. I told the dealer that I wanted the paddles and he said they were included.

Come delivery day, the car didn't have the paddles. I regret not getting them.

People say they are a gimmick but I'd use them. I prefer to have control to my box via my fingertips and not having to move the hand all the way to the stick lever. You end up not using the stick in manual very much.

For this reason, I use my car in city driving almost exclusively in sport because I dislike the car going up to 6th gear when doing 35mph. If I had the paddles, it would be smoother than having the car perpetually in sport.

Last edited: