break light fault

grim

Jan 31, 2014
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if someone could help me? I have a 1.6 mk1 seat leon and it turns out that my rear brake lights don't work. The light in my spoiler comes on but the two rear brake lights don't, I have tried new bulbs and it not that, I've had it plugged into a diagnostics computer because my EPC light is on and it says that there's a fault with my brake light cable. Can someone please tell me if its a common issue with leon and how I could fix this myself? Any help or advice what so ever would be great thanks!

Crhome

Dec 18, 2012
Nottingham
If it was the switch faulty tho how comes spoiler light is working? Don't they run off the same switch?

Last edited:

grim

Jan 31, 2014
thats what i was thinking. but ill give that a go see if it does fix it, thanks.

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
The switch I believe has two circuits In it , take lamps out get a bolt meter see if you have power go from there
I'm still putting my money on switch

grim

Jan 31, 2014
tail light, indicators and spoiler lights all work apart from actual brake lights. Its been plugged into a computer because my EPC light is on and it said that there's a fault in the brake light wire.

grim

Jan 31, 2014
I tried to change the brake switch on the pedal and that wasn't the problem... is there like a switch or where the cables split for tail and rear light that maybe got waterlogged that I could have a look at? also, this is strange and I only noticed this yesterday, but when I do press the brakes my right rear light (not stop/brake light) comes on. When I put my lights on both of them are on a little dim, but when I press the brake the right one gets quite bright and when I touched the plastic cover it was really hot. Maybe there is a problem with wires somewhere? maybe they are touching and that's why its doing this?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
No other switches.

Have you tried turning the stop/tail light bulbs around in their holders? They are supposed to only fit one way round (offset pins) but it is possible to put them in backwards.

Otherwise you need to check your wiring. Start with the earth point for the rear end of the car, but also look at the flexible cableway close to the hinge, which is the place that gets most wear.

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Could be a bad earth, if the bulbs are in the wrong way the brake lights will come on and stay on when you turn the headlights on, so easy way to check the fitment of the bulbs is turn the lights on.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members